Olly

The Great Declutter 2014

Ok, so it's not quite 2014 yet - so what, I'm getting ahead! I'll link to the 2013 declutter thread in case anyone wants to refer to it.

I always find January a good time to start turning stuff out, and I'm going to try and do one cupboard a day.

I've just gone through my baking equipment cupboard, and measured all the tins, marked the size on the base with nail polish (a Mary Berry tip) and listed them. I have 42 different baking tins :oops: in fairness, some of those are doubles like pairs of sponge tins, and I do a lot of baking. Honest. I've thrown out .. er, two!

I also found the mince-pie tin which I needed last week and couldn't find, two plastic cake boxes which I thought I'd left behind somewhere, and a quite expensive adjustable tin which I'd forgotten I owned. Shaming.

I'm up for decluttering in 2014. We have too much of everything. Cupboards, chests & drawers full of things we never use. Having a baby in May so I need to clear our spare room and garage and move some bits around so we don't have too many things with the equipment we will need.

I am glad of freecycle.

But I've just done a bit of a naughty & bought a piano. It is a mini piano though & its not 2014 yet!

I have 6 baking tins. My mind is boggling as to how there are so many different kinds!

Oh yes, and I have to address the issue of all the stuff still left in my parents attic. Not looking forward to that :(

I'll be putting the OH through his paces this year, our spare bedroom is floor to ceiling FULL of boxes as hubby is a hoarder! I've put my foot down and said that not a single box will go into the loft before being sorted, mine included. So far we've emptied loads of boxes (thanks to ikea storage and having moved to a bigger house) a box of books has gone to a charity sale at work and a box of DVDs is due for music magpie. I shall get this done as I want that spare room for accommodation and NOT for boxes 8)

1. I WILL sort through the kids clothes, and make a bag for charity. I know im expecting again, but the amount of clothes i have stored is crazy!

2. I have already made a start on selling my kitchen stuff that i dont use :) I sold 40 pieces of Henry Watson pottery, and 2 cutlery sets on ebay. :)

3. I am going to make a box up of toys for the kids charity shop.

4. we have 4 broken laptops to give to charity....

5. will make up 1 dustbin liner of clothes for charity.

6. I need to sort through my craft "stuff"... I don't need the rug kit.. and the candle kit.. and the soap kit. and all the sewing kits..

We have started decorating our bedroom and in the process of moving everything out had to empty a large cupboard. It was unbelievable, there seemed to be as much in this cupboard as in the rest of the bedroom put together :shock: . There was stuff in there I don't think we'd looked at since we moved in 13 years ago (still in the movers boxes).

Lots has now gone to the charity shop, some to the tip, and the rest in our spare bedroom to be re-sorted before its moved back to our room when we finish decorating, hopefully by that time over half of it will have been disposed of.

Inspired by this thread I started to de-clutter and I seem to be in a much worse mess than before! :lol:

I wish I was a methodical/organised person and I just am not. I also seem to lack the gene which cares about mess...

until it's got to a point where the floor is disappearing and it's starting to look as though I should be on one of those programmes about hoarders :lol:

How do you accept that you're never going to be size 10/whatever again? I keep telling myself that I will be one day....

:lol::lol: I think we all do that Merlina :D

I have a rule that if it doesn't fit and/or I haven't worn it in the last year, then it goes. You have to be ruthless.

No headway today as I have been busy, but I dropped an enormous sack off at the Katharine House Hospice shop yesterday. There was a massive clear out in the manor at work just before Christmas, so I paid Rosie to sit in the store room and pack it all up, and we loaded it all into a truck and took it to the same (local) hospice shop... loads of lovely vases, candle holders and china.

Mmmm... I am also very good at getting into a worse mess to start with, it does eventually gets better though :P I've been saving bits and bobs, thinking I could do a car boot. The reality is I will never do a car boot, so I am going to bite the bullet and give all those items to the charity shops. Sometimes it is really hard to declutter!

Merlina, my approach is this: if I ever DID get back to a size X again (and I've never been a size 10!) - anyway, if I do get back there, I'm not going to want to wear old clothes which will probably be really dated by then - I'll want to buy some new stuff to show off my figure. Keeping old stuff in smaller sizes just makes you low and won't help with weight loss. I also try to think of how thrilled someone who IS that size would be, to discover these things in the charity shop.

It's all in the mind, but it helps me to be ruthless.