TooLilac

ready, steady, Go for our new Silkies [update -they're here]

I have got slightly carried away getting ready for our new Silkies.

When I was pregnant with my children, I didn't experience the "nesting" instinct at all. But I suspect I have more than made up for it this weekend, getting ready for our new Silkies.

We've built the new ark in the wind and rain yesterday, I have been faffing around with feeders, drinkers, grit bowls, pecker blocks etc. I've lined the coop and made a nice snuggly nest box. What a carry-on!

We don't even collect them until next weekend! I feel like I should have an Advent calendarmfor the countdown :D

the big girls (hybrids and a cheeky legbar) want to know what's going on.

One thing I have noticed, aren't brand new coops lovely before they get covered in poop!!

Edited by Guest

Don't forget those pictures of both chooks and their lovely clean chook house before they cover it in poop. OH put a nice new nest box on my hens' house yesterday and I so know what you mean about how nice it looks before it gets those poop stains which flatly refuse to come off :roll: . I could almost snuggle in there myself.

Thanks all, yes I *must* take a pic of the new coop before they pebbel-dash it!

Y excitement has lost its shine today as I came home to a dead hybrid. Poor girl must have misjudged her flight down from the high roosting bar in the WIR. I found her laid out stone cold on the run floor with a badly broken wing. We think/hope she also broke her neck and didn't suffer. Poor clumsy lass.

They are still quite white and haven't figured out what the dustbath is, or how to go in or out of the coop!

We do have one white girl already, an Amber Link, whose love of mud and all things grotty means she looks like she has been swilled round the inside of a toilet bowl. Not a good look!