Grandmashazzie

Boarding kennels v Home sitting.

Hi all you pet lovers,we have decided to go away at Easter but unfortunately the kennels that we use for our dogs is fully booked.I always was happy to leave them there as they had been regularly,knew the owner and she knew them.My options now are try to find somewhere with spaces ( does that mean its not good ) or get a pet check service to call regularly feed let them out and walk them.My son lives a few streets away so he can do early morning and late at night but can't have them as his wife is allergic to dogs.Does anyone else use this sort of service?What are the pitfalls?

Hi, I guess it depends on your dogs and only you know them best but I wouldn't personally leave mine at home even with regular checks but I work from home so they are used to having me around all the time.

I use a pet sitting service whereby they go to stay with a family, they have been going to the same family for years and can't wait to get in there for their holiday. Just check if you use this type of service that they are licensed, insured and how many dogs they have at a time.

The other thing we pet check services is whether their vehicle is sign written, if so it just advertises that your house is empty, the same applies as to whether they have adequate insurance, think they may even need a police check if they have keys to your house.

Yes the van is sign written and that is a good point but we will be taking our touring caravan so apparently that also is a big ad house is empty.This person is insured and offered to stay in my home but I don't much like that idea and he charges £15 for 3 visits per day.My son will do 1st and last as he will be seeing chickens are ok,so they will have 5 visits and walked 3 times it is far cheaper than kennels and they don't need kennel cough vaccine,thinking thinking.

I'd say that your dogs are probably going to get a similar amount of interaction with your son and pet sitters popping in to what they would get in kennels. Plus they will be in their familiar surroundings. I wouldn't do it myself but then I wouldn't leave my dog in kennels either because I am far too soft! 3 walks would also be more than they would get in kennels (I would imagine?) so if you're happy with the company then I don't see that there would be a problem.

Oh thank you Lavender Blue,I don't like leaving mine but I do like holidays.I think the big bonus as you say is they will be in their own homes.We are going to France for all July and taking the Schnauser as I wouldn't want to leave her for so long.Sha had rabies shot yesterday but am already worrying how she will cope with overnight kennel on boat!Hopefully as you say they may get more attention than in boarding kennel.

I know that the kennels local to us only give the dogs one on-lead walk per day. I would hope that they also get some time in an exercise pen, but I don't honestly know. I know all kennels are different, but based on this I'd say that what you are suggesting is preferable. What your dogs will miss is your company, and they are going to miss this whether they are at home or in kennels, so they may as well be in their home where they are comfortable! Plus they will have someone familiar popping in twice a day. As I say, I wouldn't do it but I am soft and Tango either comes away with us (I've explored more of the UK in the past couple of years than I thought possible :lol: ) or she stays with my parents who love having her and spoil her to death. I am sure your dogs will be fine. I suppose the only concern might be if one of them becomes ill - would the dog walker take them to the vet, or call your son? It would be worth establishing what happens in case of any problems.

We only go away on a non-dog holiday once a year when my father takes Rosie and I away. My two stay with a friend and live the life of Riley in her conservatory; they get good walks with her gundogs, and get to exercise the springers in the field behind their house :lol:

It is ideal for me as I trust her implicitly and the dogs know her well too, also she's happy to feed them their usual raw diet as that's what her dogs eat.

You are lucky DM that is ideal,all my friends have dogs but most work and to take 3 is a big ask and no one has volunteered :( I am not overly worried about labs as they are old and sleep the day away,it's the young Schnauzer.If we didn't have that long ferry crossing I would take her to France with us but I think she will struggle with that she is quite nervous and for two weeks I don't think I would put her through that.Hoping she will be happy in her own home.

Thank you speckled hen.I have booked a local chap who works for Petchek which I assume is a franchise.He and his father run service.They were recommended and are apparently very caring.The son who will be doing checks has offered to live in but as I haven't yet met him I don't know that I like the idea of someone I don't know living in my home,but I am getting quite nervous at the whole thought of going I may revisit it. :doh: holidays. . .this is supposed to be relaxing.