The Dogmother

Do you leave your lights on at night?

Nope, all turned off - but street lights have recently been changed from glowing orange to bright white. A tad irritating. Plus across the road the people seem to have a search light which illuminates our bedrooms and if I'm washing up the light is blinding. DD said it is so strong it also lights up her bedroom and she has blackout curtain lining (and as a rule it's pretty darned good - this light gets in around the sides and above and below). So we don't really need lights on at all. I'm thinking of strategically placed mirrors so they get some of it back. When our oak is in leaf it isn't so much of a problem.

I believe that's one of the ways they detect houses which are growing illicit plants, as they give off so much heat! :shock:

Reminded me of this story from a few years ago...

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1346193/Police-raid-cannabis-factory-discover-home-guinea-pigs-Simon-Kenny.html

The best rated comment at the bottom is hilarious! :lol::lol:

Definitely not as OH is into Astronomy and light pollution is a pet hate of his. I don't know what folks think leaving outside lights on actually achieves? Our village was one of the first to trial having street lights go off at night about 3 years ago and the already low crime rate has dropped even further as a result.

We live in a very rural area with no street lights, & as we have a business van full of tools on our driveway we have an outside light on all night, very dimly, but enough to illuminate the driveway a bit.

We have had problems with travellers doing a slow drive past & eyeing up our work bits & pieces (trailers etc), so we feel that we have to have some light out there as a deterrent. It goes on at dark & switches of automatically in the morning.

We KNOW this has saved us from at least 2 thefts :P