The Dogmother

Do you leave your lights on at night?

Houses in the road I back onto seem to leave their lights blazing at night and I can't understand why... I wondered if they worked nights, but have never seen anyone in the lit up rooms. Looking at the backs of houses in our road, they are all dark.

I have a porch light on timer, which goes off at 11pm, but apart from that, the house is in darkness at night. Does anyone here leave their lights on and why?

Only an outside security light here and that only comes on for foxes/cats/cars using the drive as a turning circle etc.

We are however surrounded by houses with outside lights on overnight. Next door up the hill is lit up like Blackpool and a little further down the hill is one that even lights up its deck - and we're talking powerful lights, not little solar glow-lights. I don't understand it myself (and I'm glad I'm not paying their bills!).

Maybe they're afraid of the dark?

We turn all our indoor lights off at night but we do have 3 lights on the front of the house that are dusk till dawn ones so they are on every night, all night, but they aren't bright enough to bother any neighbours. We also have a PIR light on the garage, both sides of the house and one on the back too :D

Definitely not as OH is into Astronomy and light pollution is a pet hate of his. I don't know what folks think leaving outside lights on actually achieves? Our village was one of the first to trial having street lights go off at night about 3 years ago and the already low crime rate has dropped even further as a result.

No, no lights on here at night. Next door have an industrial sized PIR light which is set off by the slightest thing and is really annoying as we don't have thick curtains.

We discovered when we moved in that the porch light and the light at the front of the house are for show only and are not actually wired up :roll:

We don't keep any lights on at night, other than the front door light if we go out, but its switched off when we come home. Right now we live in a hamlet of 7 houses.....there are more street lights than houses, and equal numbers of street lights and residents :lol: In fact, there is more lighting here than we had in the UK, for a road which literally has no more than 5 vehicles a day on it. We have blackout blinds for one side of the house as the planners in their wisdom built a concrete lampost literally outside a window, despite the fact there is acres of space all around. Apparently there is a deserted village just up the valley and even it has street lights :shock: The needless light waste has replaced the rubbish collection system as OH's pet gripe of choice to anybody that will listen :lol:

Luckily we are on a ridge and can see for miles and miles into the black starry starry sky so its not all bad 8)

I'm to tight to use them when I'm in let alone leave them on all night

:lol: me too!

I do leave a standard lamp on a timer on when I am out, I don't like the house to look empty and I hate coming home to a completely dark house. I try not to have lights on other than in the room that I'm in.

My friend leaves the landing and bathroom light on all night 'in case the kids get up'. Said children are in their twenties! I nearly fainted when she told me how much her bills are.

I don't leave my lights on overnight, I have a street light that shines onto the landing , but even that annoys me with its orange glow despite a blackout blind up.

I do leave my standard lamp on if I go out on an evening .

I don't leave any lights on for my grandchildren when they stay over and they are just fine , which amazes me when they insist on a landing light on at home . Do they feel more secure at GMs' ?

My teas maid has an orange light , such a tiny little light on the clock face ( but that annoyed me too so I removed it) I like a nice dark room to sleep in , I'm sure its all those night shifts I have worked and struggled with through the day to make it dark so I could sleep that has made me like it , It has to be dark to sleep soundly for me, unless I'm really ill then the lamp is on . ( except when the OH is home, he will sit up with me and talk quietly till I feel able to sleep or feel better. Guess he must love me. I wonder if he'll still do it when he is home for good ? )

Well the first thing that springs to my mind when there are lights on all night in an apparently empty building is that someone is growing an illicit plant that notoriously needs a lot of light to mature! That because we have had a number of raids and arrests in my area for drug cultivation and it seems that the drug squad were suspicious of the high energy requirements of an apparently normal house which led to the investigations and raids.

I'm not growing anything illegal but my kids still seem to think that the lights need to be left on all the time so who knows if the drug squad have my house under survellience!