Blackrocksrock

New Hen - bad eggs - not good

I replaced my deceased Black Rock hen with 2 Isa Browns to keep my other Black Rock company - One of them was laying badly banded cracked soft shelled eggs - 3 weeks later still the same - despite worming, lots of limestone flour and access to grit, free ranging all day and shell. I had to decide what to do and could not work out which hen it was - enter the blue food colouring gel!! - smeared all over one hens backside at bed time - next lunch time - one lovely brown Isa brown egg and a cracked misshapen soft shell egg with blue streaks - told the story. Unfortunately I had to cull her = it could have been Infectious bronchitis that caused it and she would never have laid proper eggs - sad too but as she took so long to lay them it cannot have been good for her too. At least they seem to be getting on ok these days although the Blackrock is the boss!!

What you say sounds right to me Blackrocksrock. The IB immunisation can permanently affect egg quality in some cases. However I wouldn't have despatched, I'd have taken her back to where you got her and asked for a replacement or refund.

Good idea with the blue coloured gel.