StephenW

Banties and dogs

I know this has been covered before but unfortunately I cant find the relevant thread. Possibly think of getting a dog but was wondering has is there forum members who have found a particular breed of dog that doesn't bother the chicks. Just want to avoid my hens turning into a snack.

Thank you in advance

Steve

I agree that certain breeds such as terrier, sighthound and other 'hunting' breeds are less likely to be reliable around chickens. However it's not quite that straightforward. I know an Omleteer (chubby chook?) has sight hounds and terriers who free range with her chooks. My neighbour used to have chooks with his Jack Russell, and they all free ranged together too. Another friend of mine has a Lakeland x Border Terrier who free ranges with her chooks. So it can be done.

Are you planning on getting a rescue or a puppy? If you're planning to get a pup, I would imagine that you could train most breeds of dog to ignore the chooks. No breed or individual dog is ever guaranteed to be chook-safe though.

I agree lavenders_blue. You train a pup to basically act as you want. My brother in law has a collie cross lassie dog. She is a nightmare around my chickens. However after spending a week with us last year we managed to basically have her behaving as we wished (she was still young). Then,after a week back with my soppy BIL she was back to being the naughty chasing dog

th_image_zpsf57b5e48.jpg[/url]p://s851.photobucket.com/user/itsonya/media/imagejpg1_zpsa20be85f.jpg.html]th_imagejpg1_zpsa20be85f.jpg[/url]

She is very beautiful :D

Yes let them meet between safe fences for a while before you let them out together. They need to get to know each others smells and actions. Then take the dog out on the lead. It's hard, but try to only reward your dog for good behavior. Ie if you need to drag them away say nothing, try to get the lead loose ASAP. Try reintroducing, when the dog ignores the chook treat and praise. Repeating good boy/ girl to leave. They respond much better to positive reinforcement than negative.

Can't wait to see what dog you get. Would be great to rescue. Do let us know :D

Labs are ok til a certain age. My husband used to ride his bike with our dog. When he got to about 6 he refused to run anymore and I had to rescue him :lol: my friend has a labradoodle small. He's good to run/ bike with. Dalmations are usually excellent running partners, or springer or working cocker spaniels. :D

I've got 2 sausage dogs and a whippet. they're all scared of the big girls and won't go in the garden if they're out. They'll bimble about with the banties happily enough and they're used to chick rearing in the house. It's very much how you bring the dog up to react to the chooks but I'm sure some dog breed would be susceptible to temptation or the excitement of flapping or running birds.

I agree with what others have said re training from a pup is probably your best bet. I have a 6 yr old weimaraner, not the best breed to have around chickens but we've had her from a pup and she's grown up around the children too. We've had chickens around 2 1/2 years and I introduced her to them on the lead to begin with. She is good with them and really soft but as others have said, you can never trust a dog a hundred percent and she only comes down the garden with one of us if the chooks are out.

She is soft though for a hunting dog, she's scared of the cat and one of the chickens once pecked her on the nose! She could have gobbled the chook in one if she wanted to but she just put her paw over her nose instead :lol:

Not sure if they'd be any good for running though, she only seems to have one good burst of energy and then she flops!

I think the fact is no-one can say for certain what breeds will/won't be good with chickens. I wouldn't trust my terrier/mutt one inch with my chooks and so they stay in a secure walk in run. But then as I've said, others have terriers and chooks together with no problems. Many gundog breeds are very biddable, but then may also be interested in birds as their instinct is to flush/retrieve birds. Just because a dog might not kill a chicken if it gets near, it doesn't mean it can't end in disaster - chooks are not terribly robust and just being chased by a dog might be enough of a shock to kill them. As far as I am concerned, the only way to be 100% sure there are no dog/chicken disasters is to keep them secure and separate. Anything more than that is a bonus. Just my opinion.

As for a jogging partner, I would say many dogs would be suitable, especially those originally bred for work - terriers, labs, springers, cockers and many many more. Any breed with a short nose would be liable to over heat and probably toy dogs might not be the best choice. Other than that, pretty much anything else goes.

Good luck! (And a shout out for the rescue dogs - there's bound to be just the right dog out there for you somewhere).

Hi Stephen,

I own a working type labrador - no chickens yet - but I am expecting her to be good as gold with them. She has never shown the slightest inclination to chase sheep / squirrels or anything. As Chickabee said, getting a pup is probably a good idea as you can desensitise it to the chickens from a young age and get the dog to focus on you / do commands in the presence of the chickens. I find Labradors are really easy to train as they are so greedy!

I have taken my lab running with me off lead from 18 months old (you don't want to do it before they are a year as you don't want to put too much strain on their joints while they are growing). She has always been so good as a running partner - she stays close without me having to worry about her. We have kept her very fit, two off lead walks every day and so she is slim and shows no sign of slowing down at 5 1/2 years. My only cautionary note about labs is that between the age of 6 months - 2 years that can be a bit crazy and hyper if they don't get enough exercise!

As far as chickens and dogs go - spaniels are a really lovely breed in many ways, but I have heard they can be tempted to go for chickens and they have a reputation for chasing squirrels etc.

Good luck - let us know what breed you get.

I've got a whippet with the usual sighthound prey drive, but she has never shown the slightest interest in chickens - or any farm-type animals for that matter. I used to take her with me, on lead when I was looking after neighbours' chickens to see if she reacted at all, and she now hangs out in our garden with our free range bantams.

I have 2 griffon bruxellois and they lay on the patio watching the girls when they are free-ranging. its quite handy as I use them to fox watch:))

what is funny is the girls can recognise different dogs too, my son bought his sausage dog over and the girls wouldn't come anywhere near the entrance to the run, they didn't like her at all!!!

They are also not keen on people with blond hair...how is that possible?

I agree that certain breeds such as terrier, sighthound and other 'hunting' breeds are less likely to be reliable around chickens. However it's not quite that straightforward. I know an Omleteer (chubby chook?) has sight hounds and terriers who free range with her chooks.

Well I used to be called 'Chubby Chook' . . . and I do still have a saluki, 2 greyhounds and a terrier x spaniel with my chickens. The terrier x spaniel is absolutley fool proof and if a chicken is in his way on the path he waits politely for them to make way for him. The saluki and the greyhounds are also perfect but I don't think I'd leave them alone with them. I've also had a visiting galgo and several greyhounds all walking through my garden amongst the chickens with no problem. The thing about sight hounds is that providing the chooks don't flap in their faces, they are usually not remotely interested in birds. Bunnies and hammies and guinea pigs yes, but not feathered beings (unlike many gun dogs who are bred to be interested in birds).

The thing about sight hounds is that providing the chooks don't flap in their faces, they are usually not remotely interested in birds. Bunnies and hammies and guinea pigs yes, but not feathered beings (unlike many gun dogs who are bred to be interested in birds).

Best tell that to my two, who have a strong prey drive for any prey animal that moves fast... if it stands still, then the don't register it; it's any fast movement that triggers them. They regularly place 'flush and catch' pheasants with LBB's gundogs; they flush and mine give chase. I guess it's because mine are worked as opposed to being 'pets dogs'.

I've been thinking about this. :think: My partner's retriever who had always been very much a pet dog, immediately showed a prey drive for birds when he met up with me and got long country walks as opposed to saunters in the local park. For my present dogs I think what does it is a strong desire to please. So initially I took them amongst my chickens (who have all come from places where they were used to dogs) - the dogs at first wore a muzzle and were on a short lead. If they walked straight through they got lots of praise. If they looked towards the chickens they got a strong, vocal 'NO'. Clearly it is possible to train long dogs in this way because travellers' camps often have a mix of dogs and chickens. It is a bit like the dog that knowns the home cat is out of bounds but other cats are fair for a chase up the tree.

Five jack russells here who also want to kill anything that moves. One had a rabbit in her mouth a couple of weeks ago and it's not unusual to see them chewing on a rat or mouse. And good luck to any trespassers. But it's the funniest thing to see ducks show these same dogs where to go! I even have my farrier taking photos to show how good these dogs are with the chickens and ducks. But, all we're raised from pups with chickens and ducks around, I think that must have made a huge difference.