Daphne

So how is the season so far?

Are you talking about the big metal canister it comes in? They are called a #10 can. A quick Google search says that they hold 3 quarts. Does it say 3 lbs of coffee?

thank you for the information. googleing #10 can I think that's the only one it can be, it's what we'd call a catering tin in the UK about 6 or 7lb of content, it gives me a starting point. I assume that a quart is 2 pints in the US the same as the UK

the recipe calls for 2 - 5 gallon buckets peat/compost 1 coffee can perlite and 1 cup each of garden lime and dolomite lime plus some fertilizer

It depends on the food, but 6-7 lbs sounds right. It just said 3 lbs of coffee fit in one, so I assume coffee is light weight. Its what bulk dry foods would come in here. A very standard size, so it seems right for your "recipe". I assume that they are standard sizes between our countries and our quarts are the same as yours (2 pints). I would fill up 3 quart canning jars if you dont have any #10 cans. I buy everything in bulk here.

if I look hard enough I should find an old mashed potato tin some were in the garage that I can use to ruff out a mix minus the lime and fertilizer to I can either scale up or down to suit my needs and mixing space, that and I ain't going to mix 10 gal+ of compost in one go

I think there is a difference between the US and UK gallons that my next bit of googleing

trouble with the UK is we don't get much stuff in nice useful sized tin cans or glass jars it's going more to useless foil pouches or cardboard tubes and nasty thin walled plastic bottles that are a pain to cut up into useful scoops and measuring cups

Its raining today, which is the first time I've known rain in June in the past 5 years :shock:

The weather over the whole of this year (not much wet and a lot of heat) has had a real impact. Top fruit has done badly, but citrus, vines and olives have thrived. Our cherry tree did give us tremendous eating, we got 25kg off one tree. They were pretty good tasting, large, but very early, and perhaps not quite a fabulous as usual. The peach tree ended up with about 300 peaches, also very early. These were smaller and less flavour than usual, and a bit mealy and soft and when loads fell off the tree I wasn't heartbroken. More encouragingly, we have about 20 apricots off the tree I planted last May. The fruit are small and not 100% delicious, but they are fairly good. I baked some to intensify the taste, they were good, and I hope as the tree matures, the fruit will get better. I am very pleased with the tree as I have never grown apricots before and I feel a bit like an 18th century gardener with a walled garden and a glasshouse (I don't have either) able to send apricots up to the big 'ouse!

I have had about 6 plums, which is no hardship as they need jamming, but luckily a neighbour has offered us as many as we want. The sweetcorn is growing well, my tomatoes are still slow although I do have some tiny ones, but when I drove past another neighbours (known as the tomato man to us) he was tending massive green purse shaped beefsteak types. I think I am going to give up, I am just useless at growing them. My lettuce also don't seem to grow quickly enough, they have a tendency to be a bit tough and bitter, and its down to me not giving them enough water. This is because we are metered and I am too stingy. Most other people have boreholes/tanks/springs/water mines and they just ladle it on. The orange tree still has a few fruit clinging on, the lemon is full (I discovered 10 yesterday which had fallen and were lying unseen in the undergrowth beneath it. There are probably at least 200 fruit still on the tree) and I have never seen so many grapes as we have this year, they are absolutely dripping. We have one vine which has scrambled over a tiled roof, which I now realise is providing bottom heat as well as top heat, its groaning with fruit. It provides nice white eating grapes, but unfortunately it is coming down later in the year as its unsafe.

My nasty neighbour has planted a corrall of about 20 short sticks in a circle to keep something out and planted inside. When we asked what it was, he said 'cabbage', and there's me thinking it was something very rare and precious :lol:

I also counted 50 blooms on a single rosebush, and 50 blooms on a single agapanthus :D

How are you all doing, have the conditions been different to normal and how has it effected your crops and plants?

Daphne it's not that your "useless at growing" tomatoes more like your trying to grow the wrong varieties for your location plus being to nice to them I find they need a little bit of neglect once they've set the first couple of trusses of fruit. at what stage do you have problems with them there's enough of us on here to to give you a few pointers that might help you grow toms after all their not that hard to grow

lettuce again might be the wrong variety for you location as most UK ones don't do well in a hot climate

I've been picking cherries for 3 or 4 days their not quite ripe but most I can eat. probably pick about a pound so far which is very very good normally by day 2 or 3 thew birds find them and I'm lucky to get 2 or 3 cherries it's also helps that this is the best year I've had for cherries most be 10+pounds between the 2 trees and it's the fist year that the one tree has set more than a couple of fruits this year it must has 2 lbs on it just a bit hard to get to them

should be a good year for Plums as well all 3 trees ( 2 plum 1 Gage) have a fair few on it's just a case of them ripening and the squirrels not finding them before me. I might even get to eat a couple of the Gage's for the first time in 12 years and more than 2 of the Czar plums. the Apricot drooped all but 2 fruits this year ( tree suffered a lot of wind burning to the leaves just after Easter) and one of them got knocked of the the wood pigeons eating the young leaves

strawberries have fruited but I've lost most of the nice varieties only got the early ones left

the red currant has started to ripen early this year and is edible a lot quicker than usual as well

HI SJP, thanks for helping, but I have always been poor at growing toms, even in the UK. OK, my tomato growing habits:

I have given up sowing UK seed as the plants never produced much fruit, I think the varieties are wrong. So, now I buy plug plants which are sold everywhere, mostly I have no idea of the variety and even if they are labelled I don't know what the variety name means. This time the lady said they grow large tomotoes, but really that doesn't help me much, so I guess they are going to be a tall variety, I have already started staking and tying in. And looking back, I have had most success with bush plants which have produced a lot of fruit.

So, what happens is, I buy the plugs (technically I think they might be micro plugs, they are very small) in late April/early May and plant them straight out. They are about 6 inches high, with very small roots and not a lot of top growth, this is what they all look like, they are sold everywhere, they are what most people do. We don't get frost. I think my first problem may be that the land is running out of fertility. It is mega fertile naturally, open textured as its full of stones, acid, we get loads of sun and rain but only till April/May, and this year it had spawned masses and masses of wild flowers about 3 ft high which I'd cleared before I planted the toms. I can't make compost as its too hot (it just dries out) and I haven't yet bought any guano (used by the locals) which I keep threatening to do. Do you think that would be a good idea, or should I just bring over something like pelleted chicken manure?

I water them in, then water them perhaps once a week in April/May and then daily once the temp shoots up, then twice a day when its mega hot if I remember/am around. I suspect I don't give them enough. Or should I water them less frequently but more (remembering the soil gets rock hard on top because of the sun and water tends to run off). I use a tomato fertiliser once the first truss has set, perhaps once a week or every 10 days. Its a bog standard, cheapo brand. I do pinch out.

Growth is very slow, the plants are maybe 12 inches high, some 15 inches and some 10. Some have yellowing leaves (is this too much water or a deficiency?) A couple have their first fruits already, most are in flower, but they are short, not what I was expecting. I would describe them all as a bit weedy. And embarrassing!

HI SJP, thanks for helping, but I have always been poor at growing toms, even in the UK. OK, my tomato growing habits:

I have given up sowing UK seed as the plants never produced much fruit, I think the varieties are wrong. So, now I buy plug plants which are sold everywhere, mostly I have no idea of the variety and even if they are labelled I don't know what the variety name means. This time the lady said they grow large tomotoes, but really that doesn't help me much, so I guess they are going to be a tall variety, I have already started staking and tying in. And looking back, I have had most success with bush plants which have produced a lot of fruit. that's not a problem here

So, what happens is, I buy the plugs (technically I think they might be micro plugs, they are very small) in late April/early May and plant them straight out. They are about 6 inches high, with very small roots and not a lot of top growth, this is what they all look like, they are sold everywhere, they are what most people do. We don't get frost. I think my first problem may be that the land is running out of fertility. It is mega fertile naturally, open textured as its full of stones, acid, we get loads of sun and rain but only till April/May, and this year it had spawned masses and masses of wild flowers about 3 ft high which I'd cleared before I planted the toms. I can't make compost as its too hot (it just dries out) and I haven't yet bought any guano (used by the locals) which I keep threatening to do. Do you think that would be a good idea, or should I just bring over something like pelleted chicken manure? don't bother taking anything over from the UK. fertilizer or pelleted chicken manure. for one thing if you fly the baggage charge will be high and 2 it might be illegal and 3 it'll be cheaper locally

I water them in, then water them perhaps once a week in April/May and then daily once the temp shoots up, then twice a day when its mega hot if I remember/am around. I suspect I don't give them enough. Or should I water them less frequently but more (remembering the soil gets rock hard on top because of the sun and water tends to run off). I use a tomato fertiliser once the first truss has set, perhaps once a week or every 10 days. Its a bog standard, cheapo brand. I do pinch out.watering is difficult to address from here but rule of thumb on paper the first bit is right but We don't grow on paper We grow in soil out doors in the UK most years We can get away with watering once a week May/June ( I can't plant toms out here till late May) as the soil will still normally have a good amount of water in it not this year best way to approach watering is by the weather conditions if the soil is drying out and the plants are wilting water a bit more often the feeding bit is about right but I'd be tempted to buy a slightly better tom feed or double the amount used each feed. the soil drying out situation mulch when it's still wet if you can even before planting then plant through it and when you plant the toms out sink a plastic bottle neck end down no cap about 4inch into the soil (cut the bottom off before plant it makes life easier) then water through the bottle that way the water is going straight to the roots the dry top part of the soil will then act partly as a mulch better if it's a dust layer

Growth is very slow, the plants are maybe 12 inches high, some 15 inches and some 10. Some have yellowing leaves (is this too much water or a deficiency?) A couple have their first fruits already, most are in flower, but they are short, not what I was expecting. I would describe them all as a bit weedy. And embarrassing!

this one is a bit easier to answer the yellowing is a feeding deficiency either Iron or magnesium the later is the most likely can be easily cured or not cured at all no in betweens Dolomite lime added to the soil at planting or once or twice during the season just about first flowers or fruit and again around 3 flowers/fruit. also a teaspoon to the galleon of Magnesium sulphate (Epson Salts) at each feed should help you can sprinkle it around the plant and water it in or just add it to the water on it's own if you haven't started to feed

right now the hard work bit the soil is starving basically it needs feeding in the form of organic matter either compost or muck digging into it in the Autumn/ winter it's a cold or cool weather job the soil sounds like it hasn't been dug for a while and it dose need it one so the water can get into it and 2 so the plant roots can grow into it the organic materiel mixed into the soil will help to keep the water in, feed the soil and eventually stop it setting rock hard it's not going to be a quick fix it'll take a fair few years and some hardish work for a bit to get the soil to brake down . but it will be worth it main tip through if done right mulch will be your friend and at the stage NO DIG IS NOT YOUR FRIEND

picked the last of the cherries Sunday afternoon this year has been the longest cherry season I've ever had nearly 3 weeks long I think I've pick about 3lbs in total. and today the plum season started pick one this morning have to say through it wasn't the sweetest plum I've had of that tree but it was a good size and really juicy

Had to cut the tops off and then harvest my main crop potatoes last week. I went for Golden Wonder as I'm still looking for something that does good mash, roasties and jackets with a good yield in my soil.

Well, I'm not impressed. Good number of tubers per plant but all small - none bigger than my fist, so no good for baking. Peeled some today for mash and although they tasted good I only just caught them before they boiled into the water.

If they don't roast well they'll have been a complete disaster- should've just used all the space for the new potatoes - Jazzy - instead. They were superb for the fourth year in a row.

Purple dwarf French beans are excellent- I've just sowed 2 final pots to see if I can keep them going. Runners hopeless - the few I've managed to save from the snails are having all their flowers eaten by sparrows!

golden wonder is only a medium sized spud in most soils mainly a fryer but will roast and is a reasonable baker. as for mashing not really it's got to high of a dry content matter on a good year this year been to dry so most spuds are going to be a pain to boil. I'd not use it straight out of the ground any way like all main crop spuds they need at least a month out of the ground before their usable some more like 6 months

personally I don't bother with GW as it don't like My ground mind this year none of the spuds like my ground ain't had dug up a usable spud even Cara's struggling

I take it You had signs of blight to harvest GW this early

I'm glad you both posted, I was just thinking about this thread when i watered the toms this morning :D it sounds as though the weather has played a part in everyone's crops? How would you describe the summer? Ours has been cooler than normal, after a superhot June, with lowish overnight temps, which is very unusual. Obviously there is still no water, but most tree fruit and crops (except my toms!) are 3-4 weeks early and are bountiful. I expect to harvest the grapes within the next month, they are already fairly ripe. We even have a crop of pears for the first time, from an old tree, though they are like bullets so far from ripe. It's counter intuitive, the lack of winter wet shouldn't provoke cropping......unless the trees are all going to keel over next year! The poisoned apple tree is suffering, I have had to remove about 25% of the canopy as the dieback was spreading. It has a mulch and feed. I lost patience with the plums, they didn't crop well again, which makes 4 years in a row. I have chopped most of them down, leaving just a couple. They were only good for jam anyway.

We also seem to have a bumper crop of olives, which I have now discovered from the family which planted them is the regular, most common variety grown in Portugal. Rather fancifully they are supposed to have aromas of the local variety of Apple, and almond. Bluff :lol: I am not sure how juicy they will be. I reckon the lemon tree may have produced around 500 fruit this year, they are falling off at the rate of 10 a day. They are super ripe and I can't keep up, even giving bagfuls away. We try to use 5 a day in lemonade!

Now, I have another tomato related question. Are there early fruiters and late ones? I ask because My first fruits are only just ripening, and quite a few more fruit is forming. After sulking for months, it appears the plants are now producing regular fruit which quickly comes up to size. The variety is called Maca (Apple) Each one is quite large, and sort of broad at the top, going down to a point. Kind of conical and not like an apple at all. They are orangey red, not pink, and I think quite thick skinned, although I haven't eaten one yet.

Daphne I'll start with the toms their are a few early ones Shirley been the most common one in the UK but early with toms seams to mean You can start it of earlier in the year I've had folk say in December for a late May crop but it needs a heated green house for most if not all of the time. by an large toms are governed by day length been a south American plant in origin, a term called day neutral comes in to play with a lot of plants from that part of the world and no matter how many times it's explained to Me I still don't understand it. it's partly to do with 12hrs day and 12hrs night. basically most toms especially the old varieties won't start to ripen until the day's start to get shorter that bit varies from location to location for Me I don't normally get toms ripening before the end of August early September as I only grow old varieties mainly this year is an exception my outdoor toms(spares and left overs from the greenhouse) started to ripen a week ago for a start.I had a couple the greenhouse ones a few days before that but they were from a few plants that are still in 3inch pots. the greenhouse ones in the proper pots started to ripen at the weekend had 6 fresh picked ones lunch time. there is another way toms ripen early that's stress

your Maca tom sounds like a stuffier type sometimes called heart shaped they do get big quite quickly and for a big tom can be heavy croppers most examples don't have much seed and pulp inside a bit like a bell pepper. as for thick skinned most of the older varieties are that way personally all my favorite toms are thick skinned they have the best flavour

I'm finding the fruit season is very early and in the case of stone fruits very good sized crop I'm picking Czar plums all ready a good 3-4 weeks early the purple plum on my lootie plot finished over a week ago again about 3 weeks early the yellow Gage is just starting to ripen. the grape vine has got some good sized grapes on it that I'm hoping will ripen before the mildew arrives. apples are a bit varied most have a lot on but most are very small have got a few big Dr Harvey though so I might get a couple of good bakers, but both the plums and apples are badly infested with Sawfly and Coddling mouth grubs plus a fair bit of brown rot. I'm also getting a lot of windfall as well much to the delight of the chickens

Green tomato chutney anyone? We are swimming with it! :lol:

The potatoes under straw weren't brilliant, but we did have a fair crop. The blackbirds did like throwing the straw onto the paths though. Back to normal way next time.

Runners are just beginning to romp away - in all fairness I sowed late, but have a better crop than last year.

French beans are now being frozen. Interesting that the purple podded variety just kept growing until the weather changed and then they started to flower. All French beans are now destined for the freezer while we chomp the runners.

Sugar snaps have also had a good crop. Tomatoes are now doing very well in the greenhouse but only just turning outside, although the Tigerellas have been the first in the greenhouse to ripen and the same for in the garden. They've been spectacular this year and very heavy cropping! The beefy ones in the greenhouse are just turning. The yellow Carter's Golden Sunrise is pretty and not bad for flavour too. Jury's out on the Cream Sausage though. Costoluto wotsit from last year (with the greenhouse issues) has had a better year, although I'm not going to bother with that one again - the fruits tend to look like blight, but others on the same stem are fine. Very weird! I just chucked all the seeds in the pot - they all germinated, so not enough room in the greenhouse, although 3 are in there. The rest have been found homes in the spare veggie bed and the flower borders! They seem to fare better outside though (and even then one of the fruits has that blighty look, although no sign of blight here yet :anxious: ).

The other toms are San Marzano, Berkley Tie Dye, Green Zebra and Black Russian. San Marzano always seems to have one blossom end rot, while the rest of the truss are fine. All of these have had props added to the first trusses because they became so heavy that bent their stems (not the main stem). Never had to do that before.

Peppers are very tardy. Can't win 'em all!

Strawberries were old plants, and while prolific, not exactly a flavour that made you want to go back for more. They've all been removed now, ready for returfing that area. Raspberries are good though and better than last year.

So in spite of the weather we haven't done too badly after all. Now I'm contemplating frahd green ta mayders y'all. And hoping I don't get a stomach upset! :lol:

the Costoluto hasn't got blight it's a form of blossom end rot that at least one of the Costoluto varieties seems to suffer from for some reason it's brown and not black I lost 3 or 4 fruit on one truss about 4 weeks ago

Golden Sunrise is one of the best Yellow tomatoes. cream sausage same here never seems to do very well San Marzano depends on the strain but I find it's prone to BER but most of the big fruiting toms are you just can't water them enough in pots and grow bags when the greenhouse gets really hot

I picked a few Tigerella from the out door ones Sunday the indoor ones are just turning a first for me never seem to get them ripe this early

I've never done well with Green Zebra find it poor to germinate and every worst at setting fruit

Black Russian is one of my favorites but I struggle to get a good strain now

Berkley Tie Dye never heard of but it's on the wish list for next year :lol:

a good sausage type if you can find it is Orange Banana I used to get it from the HSL seed swap at Ryton

My Polish Ground Cucumbers in the little greenhouse are still doing well. I'm getting just enough Gardeners Delight tomatoes but I put too many in a small space and have had mould problems. French beans still going well despite almost no leaves thanks to the snails now I've removed their mesh.

A strawberry plant a colleague gave me from Homebase last year has just flowered and has loads of fruit trying to ripen. Runner beans are just coming - mine were late too.

Last sewing of dwarf French beans (purple ones) are just emerging so fingers crossed that the weather will be kind to them!

Thanks for the info on the Costoluto. It definitely fared better outside the greenhouse. Probably down to going on holiday and relying on DD to water them - I did ask her to water from the top - and then my neighbour stepped in and drowned them! :lol:

The Berkley Tie Dye is quite nice. Lemon tree/Lemon plum is bland but pretty yellow. Sun lemon is OK but we still prefer Sungold. Apart from the Costoluto variety, all the others are from Thomas Etty. My mum says Aperitif is rather nice - she bought some plug plants and they've done well apparently - only just turning red when I saw her - although she had hers early, they were ripening around the same time as my late ones! Have yet to visit and nibble!

Must look out for Orange Banana!!! :lol:

We have one big gherkin and several small ones - do you know if you can pick them to stop them getting bigger and wait for a few more to reach the same size, or do they go a bit yukky?

If you are able to get the HSL peas - see if you can get hold of Gladstone - they were the sweetest peas I have ever eaten. Robinson is the second best variety - well, in our opinion that is. They never got as far as the freezer, my daughter scoffed them and then a visit from OH's cousin and there were never enough left for dinner!

And now the blight has hit the garden. Ah well, the greenhouse ones are fine.

have to disagree about Lemon tree I've never found it bland. Don't know Sun Lemon. Sun Gold I won't grow it's got no flavor same with Aperitif I was given a few for a display a couple of year ago

only grown Gherkins a couple of times could never get the plants to set more than a couple of fruit at at time so never got to the pickling stage.

as for peas I only grow two varieties if I grow peas that's Hurst Greenshaft and Alderman their the only 2 I ever do any good with that I can still get did do very well with an HSL variety called Steven's pea a few years back kept it going with saved seed for about 3 years but the rats got the last crop I grew and the last of the seed failed

I wonder if the different flavours are to do with watering or feeding? Sungolds have been exceedingly sweet and really boost the flavour of a passata - if there are any ripe ones left from thieving OH and DD! I have to watch the first one to dive in quick - after all the grower should have first dibs - and there he is, OH walking up the garden chomping! I very rarely get the first! I don't like the legginess of them - outside or inside, they never grow sturdy like the others. The Sun Lemon was from Mr Fothergill this year. Maybe too hot (can tomatoes get too hot? I doubt it considering their origins!) and too much water? Not feeding enough? I use comfrey liquid but it's not been an issue before. I did read that easing off watering made the flavours more intense. Perhaps putting bananas in the greenhouse to help start ripening was perhaps too soon? Or the good weather followed by a long stretch of thick clouds? The wacky world of veg growing!

One of the good sowings was beetroot. That's done very well. OH is delighted with the haul. :vom:

My neighbour used to grow Sungold in the UK, in a polytunnel. They grew to about 6 ft, great for picking! I always found them supersweet, but I guess flavour is in the mouth of the beholder so to speak! My Maca toms here are perfectly OK. I wouldn't rave about them, but then again there's nothing wrong with them, there is a good balance of acidity and sweetness, and I love the way that inside there are lots of walls and compartments, they do look properly homegrown :D

We were in the lucky position last week of being able to eat our own grapes (ready about one month early), pears (still hard but quite juicy, I am pleased because this is an old tree which has not borne much fruit in the past few years, but its covered with them this year) and figs(they are going semi dried on the tree as we have had so little rain, but still very sweet). Its the season for dwarf beans, we have been eating quite a lot, grown locally, but not our own unfortunately. I long for a good beetroot, they just don't grow well here. But the thing everyone is stuffing their face with is melon. I can grow it, but it takes so much water I don't bother anymore. My favourite is called Piel de Sapo, its very common here and you can buy it in the UK. It is very sweet. We normally buy one, and keep it a week before opening it.

Soon it will be the pumpkin/squash season. Soup!!

Yesterday there was a piece on the news about a family which grows 83 varieties of toms :shock:

I had been going to ask another Tom growing question. Why do we grow toms up poles/ strings? Do you think there could be any merit in arching the stems over and down, like a rose, which encourages buds to break along the horizontal and downward stem, to try to get more fruit, or is a tomato plant different? The 83 variety man grew everything upwards. The only variety I could make out that he specifically mentioned was the yellow banana, but he spoke a lot about beef heart types (because they do grow well here) and also pink toms.

the main reason for growing the vertical or as a cordon i.e on an angle of about 45 degrees is the stems tend to crush in on themselves if they bend to much plus most do naturally want to grow upwards. there are of course several varieties that grow as bushes either upright or cascading, , totem, Tumbler through Totem isn't that good of an example

I do have a few pots in My small greenhouse that I've not staked but a couple haven't fruited that well but that could just be the varieties

yellow banana is also called Banana Legs in some lists and some sell both types. there's also cream sausage with is similar but a bit more uniform

Only 83 varieties! I've heard rumors of some one in the UK growing well over 100. I've tried to grow 36 in one year but at least 10 failed to germinate. I've probably grown 100 - 150 varieties over the last 20+ years. I normally grow 18-20 varieties a year at least 5 of which I haven't grown before but it's getting harder to get true Heritage or rare interesting varieties now