BethK

Some beginners questions

Hi everyone,

I'm new to chicken keeping.

We've just bought an Eglu Classic which we're putting in a WIR that's approx 4m x 2m.

My daughter has her heart set on 4 chickens. We'd like some similar to Rhode Island rangers.

Do you think the size of the classic would be ok for 4 standard size chickens? We don't want bantams but also don't want to squash 4 hens in the classic and then they end up fighting.

Do you think 3 would be better?

Also the run has a grass floor but I'd like to put sand/gravel in the bottom. My parents have chickens and said they prefer bark floor so they can scratch it up for bugs and things. Would they not be able to do that with sand?

Any help, advice or tips will be much appreciated :)

Sand and gravel will get thrown everywhere BethK. We tried gravel and it ended up all over the lawn which didn't do the mower much good. We used bark chippings, but it is best if they are kept dry and poo picked daily. They they may be OK for 12 months. They need boarding around the bottom for wind protection and it will retain the chips. Your run is 8 square metres and then it has a coop in it. If you want 4 hens I would advise the coop is lifted well off the ground to retain the run space. I don't know what you have covered over the run with, if anything, but it is best if rainwater goes into guttering and then well away to avoid the ground getting boggy. They will need shelter from the rain I think, preferably over the whole area as it is quite small. I normally aim for 4 square metres per hen if they are never free ranging. Smaller and there is a stress factor that can lead to problems, although a perch in the run does help. I think you are best with just 3 hens, but be advised now you will not be able to add another one later on. Introducing single hens is very problematic (reputable breeders won't sell you a single hen) and introducing pairs is bad enough.

Thank you for your help.

The classic is raised on a table and the run has a deep board around and also a roof.

I thought it was 1m2 per chicken, considering omlet sell the classic with a 2m run which if you're right would only be suitable for half a chicken?

Welcome to the Forum. The more space you can give them the better, but 1m sq per hen is sufficient and many of us have kept hens successfully on this ratio for years. I don't know whereabouts you live Beantree but you must have a huge garden considering the number of hens you say you've had! I keep 6 in a 2m x 3m run and they are happy and healthy. It's even better of course if you can sometimes let them out to roam the garden under supervision

The Eglu Classic will certainly sleep 4 hens. I agree about the sand - they'd love scratching in it but would kick it everywhere, they'll do the same with whatever you put down but most people find wood chip is easier. I'd go for four hybrid hens - there are lots of hybrids with Rhode Island in and they're generally reliable layers and tend not to go broody.

I assure you I am right about 4m2 each BethK (UK free range non-organic standard), but a lot depends on other factors. The size of the birds, their temperament, their age and the mix of breeds, whether they free range or not, the feeding heights and the nature of the food and how often the run is moved to fresh grass. You can get away with 1m2 under certain circumstances and we do. Ours are in runs not much larger than that (1.2 -1.8 ) every morning for an established routine for 2 hours and then whenever we are out any morning. They have perches big enough for all of them and they know they will be let out into their enclosures (15 m2 minimum each, Soil Association Organic welfare standard) so they wait patiently; well some do more patiently than others. But we kept them in their runs all the time for a few weeks when we moved (because the enclosures had to be dismantled and rebuilt) and they were getting ill. Part of the problem was that they had tasted a lot more freedom I think. We lost 4 shortly after arrival because stress causes illness and sometimes, with old birds certainly, the damage is irreversible. We moved at the worst time as well because some were moulting which is stressful in itself, at which time the pecking order can get changed causing major bullying problems.

I don't know any run and coop manufacturer who comes 'clean' about run sizes and factors involved, probably because they don't really know as it isn't clear cut? Don't think there are many coop and run manufacturers whose designers keep chickens anyway? Perhaps they think anything more than the caged hen at 13 per m2 is generous?

Anyway, sounds like you have a great run. I agree with The Dogmother about bark, but it was incredibly cheap. Free actually, but we had to bag and collect. Perhaps 4 will be OK but lack of space in the coop can cause tension and can lead to ventilation problems.

I looked into this a while ago as part of a paper I was writing; at that time, there was no defined rule about the amount of space, but there were http://guidelines stating that 1Msq per chicken was the absolute minimum requirement.

I have to say that I am shocked at the small size of the runs on some coops for sale at the moment. When buying a coop/run, you need to take into account that there will be times when your birds will need to be in the run for all or part of a day, and then spending more time in it during the darker days in winter. So it is advisable to ignore any potential for free ranging and buy a run (or stock an existing one) accordingly to allow ample space, and then some, for the birds you keep, or intend to buy.

If you are starting off with 3 hens, but intend grow to 6, then buy the bigger run to start with.

Oh wow, all these welfare standards, we just wanted some chickens and thought our run would be fine for them :/

It's actually quite daunting and confusing when you look into food grades, standards and the rest of the stuff Beantree was talking about.

They would be let out, but not regularly and not routinely as we'd have to be with them in the garden.

Think I'll have to rethink, was hoping it was going to be more fun and easier than that considering omlet sold runs only 2m x 1m and I certainly wouldn't want to buy a house from a company that don't have the best interests of the hens!

Thanks for your help, will go back to rabbits, much easier lol

Please don't be put off, I felt completely overwhelmed with information when I started hen keeping. You learn as you go on, three is a nice little number, I would go for it, they are so much fun and not half as hard work as it sounds! If you can keep rabbits then you can do chooks:))

I started with 3 in an omlet go with extra 2m run. They had their own free range fenced off area too. Because I got hybrids I was getting 18 eggs a week.Even for a family of 6 that's a lot. I've moved on now and have 3 different coops and runs with lots of chickens all over the place. I love it.

I have to agree with the dogmother about the small size of some housing on the market. I bought a coop that says it is suitable for up to 6 hens. There's not even enough room to swing a budgie in the run part. I've got 2 small girls in there at the moment, but I let them out all day every day. There's no way I'd keep them confined in such a small space.

Do enjoy. I look forward to hearing how you get on :D

BethK, don't be put off, it isn't hard, honest...I managed it, bought 4 chickens to start with, got Omlet to deliver the chickens and hubby put up the cube. And the excitement when you collect your first eggs is great!!! Lots of yummy fresh eggs, so much better than going to the shop! Go for it and enjoy :D

It's not hard. It's rewarding, entertaining, fun and good for your health. I love rabbits, but chickens are far more interesting. It's like magic when they lay their first egg :D. This forum has helped me so much too. There's always someone with an answer to your problem, or to laugh at your silly photos or coo over the lovely ones :D

Oooh I don't know about the size of eglu classic as I have the cube but mine have a cube with 5m run but they always seem to eat at one end or sleep under the cube at the other so never really spread out! And about welfare standards and stuff, just to add this into the mix free-range chickens: maximum of 9 birds per square metre for egg layers and 13 birds per square metre for meat. Obviously this is not advisable as this is in industry NOT pet chickens where they deserve a bit better standards but just thought I'd throw it in here (not , I would say 1m2 is adequate per bird as mine usually cluster together anyway! I think this is also approved by RSPCA freedom foods but don't quote me to that! Have fun with your chucks you'll love it! Sand is quite cheap and easy but they do chuck it everywhere! I change the waters every 2 days as they are filled with sand from them scratting!

The more space the better, but a touch of perspective re what the average back yard chicken keeper can provide is best borne in mind. In answer to the OP, a Classic would be fine for 3 chickens, as long as they are not large breeds. I have often had 4 in an Eglu, but only with an extended run. They have been fine.

Thanks everyone.

Think we'll get 3 and just hope they will be ok. Like I said the run is 3m x 2m x 1.6m high which has another bit on the end that goes underneath a treehouse which gives the chickens 2.5m x 1.5m x 1m. The run will have a hard roof (not sure if clear or not yet, it will also have a deep board, around 5" at the bottom to help prevent spilling over.

The classic would be sat on a table at the tall end so that the chickens can go up to bed.

They will also have roosting bars.

Would you dig out the grass and fill it with gravel/wood chip/sand straight away to make it look all nice for them for when the move in or would you let the chickens clear the grass and then fill it with gravel/wood hip?

I'd let them clear the grass first, which won't take long. But make sure it is very short indeed when they go onto it, otherwise when they see it for the first time they will gorge themselves and get crop impactions. They are best let onto grass after they have fed on pellets if possible.

I wouldn't use gravel in the run. A friend of mine did and ended up with a stinking mass underneath the gravel, which was back breaking to dig out, and took 2 days to clear. The stench when the top layer was removed was unforgettable.

I have my runs on paving slabs, and top them with wood shavings or Aubiose when I can get hold of it.

Roughly where are you located? I'd be happy for you to pop round to see my 'herd' and ask questions.

Gosh, I would have loved that offer from The Dogmothers before I got my girls, I didn't know anyone who ha chickens so had never seen them in a garden setting. If you post in what area you are,I am sure someone will let you pop round and look at there set up, and they will give you some advice, it would be invaluable...

Fab, BethK...glad you are on for it. Ours all started on grass and we learnt as we went along....they soon quickly dug that up. We had a cube and run attatchment thingy when we started and that did us very well, the chickens were fine and tbh very luxurious compared to how many chickens are kept. Your accommodation sounds fab. Yes, if you live anywhere near me, I'd be happy to pop along. It is great fun and even more exciting when you get your first egg!!!!

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Dogmother, that's very kind of you! We're in Fairford in Gloucestershire :)

I don't want it all smelly and rotten under the gravel, how about just a load of Aubiose on top of the soil?

I could slab the area but that would have to be done before the run goes up next week, so they wouldn't be able to scratch up the grass, we'd have to dig it out. Might be a better option though?

We've not yet decided what to do about the roof. I don't want it to be like a greenhouse in there. The builder who's doing the run for us said he uses clear hard plastic roof on his avery. The run will be open at the front and one side. The other side and back will be up against a fence. The roof wont be shaded mid-late afternoon (the chickens will though as they will get a lot of shade in the afternoon by the fence and the treehouse next to the run. Do you think i should use something other than clear plastic?

Edited by Guest

Fab, BethK...glad you are on for it. Ours all started on grass and we learnt as we went along....they soon quickly dug that up. We had a cube and run attatchment thingy when we started and that did us very well, the chickens were fine and tbh very luxurious compared to how many chickens are kept. Your accommodation sounds fab. Yes, if you live anywhere near me, I'd be happy to pop along. It is great fun and even more exciting when you get your first egg!!!!

Yes i spoke to my husband and i tried to talk myself out of it but i can't, i really really want to keep Chickens, so we bought the Classic, so we're committed now :D Have the builder coming in next week to build the run and have found some lovely Chickens at http://www.cotswoldchickens.com/

My daughter (3 years old) wants to name them all after her, she also wanted the (pink eglu) but i told a little white lie and said they were out of stock! :shh:

Think we're going to stick with 3 for now. If we get on well then in the future we could expand the run and add another classic :D

Thanks everyone!

Thanks Dogmother, that's very kind of you! We're in Fairford in Gloucestershire :)

I don't want it all smelly and rotten under the gravel, how about just a load of Aubiose on top of the soil?

I could slab the area but that would have to be done before the run goes up next week, so they wouldn't be able to scratch up the grass, we'd have to dig it out. Might be a better option though?

We've not yet decided what to do about the roof. I don't want it to be like a greenhouse in there. The builder who's doing the run for us said he uses clear hard plastic roof on his avery. The run will be open at the front and one side. The other side and back will be up against a fence. The roof wont be shaded mid-late afternoon (the chickens will though as they will get a lot of shade in the afternoon by the fence and the treehouse next to the run. Do you think i should use something other than clear plastic?

I little too far I'm afraid unless you fancy driving to north Oxfordshire..... you'd be most welcome, of course. There's a forum section called 'visiting an eglu owner' or summat like that; it used to be very busy with prospective eglu owners. I've had quite a few visitors over the years.

No problem with litter on top of soil, just sprinkle the soil with Nettex's Ground Sanitising Powder each time you muck it out, and before you pop the new litter in. Then sprinkle a wee bit more over the bedding each week and rake it through; this will prevent any build up of bacteria and intestinal worm eggs. I slabbed under my run after a neighbour took up their patio and gave me a whole load of slabs :D