mullethunter

Bernadette or Bernard?

Hello

After wanting some since I left home over 15 years ago I've finally got my chickens! 2 SL Wyandotte bantams (Penny and Amy), and 2 12 week old Pekins (Bernadette and Shelly).

My post is about Bernadette (mille fleur) who I'm slightly concerned could become Bernard! Her comb although still small is much redder than Shellys (lavender) - although only a suggestion of wattles so far - what do you think?

Bernie_zps8371bb0b.jpg

Pekins_zps6e51274e.jpg

Thanks very much.

Hello Mullethunter. I couldn't open the photos, but a slightly reddening comb isn't something to worry about. In fact you will be watching for that when she comes into lay. If the sizes are the same there is no problem. You could go back to the breeder and look at cockerels the same age, just to give yourself something to compare to?

The reddening comb does look a little bit larger than the other Mullethunter. Too early to say though I think. You will get varying sizes of combs in pullets. Some can be half the average size and some twice the average size, which is a big difference.