Egzandra

Does anyone here know about glass painting?

The other day I decided to clean a retro seventies chandelier, which hangs in the hall of our rented house, and which was getting rather dusty. It consists of a metal frame in the shape of a spider with many legs with a pink glass drop suspended from each leg, however when I attempted to wash these they lost the pink glaze and turned into clear glass drops, all but three which strangel y are pink glass all through. The glaze came off very easily with the dirt. I quite like the new look of the chandelier, but was wondering about the possibility of repainting the drops and whether anyone here would know if this sounds possible? Thanks for reading this.

I have had that before with candle holders. Thought I would just put them in with the dishes... Had nice clear glass candle holders in stead of yellow...

I have painted drinking glasses before. You can buy this glass paint, wich you then need to set, by sticking the glass in the oven for a while.

I think they where called porcelain markers. Very easy to use.

Hi Egzandra. As said, you can buy glass paint very easily from craft shops. People use it on clear plastic to make Christmas cards and to decorate glass jars and things. In the case of different colours you have to use a thick outliner in-between to stop them running together while they set. In your case that's not going to be a problem. But getting an even coating may be, as may matching the original pink drops (I assume the painted ones are replacements). Still, you won't know until you try.

Thank you for your replies which are all helpful. I think I will get some paint and experiment with one or two of the drops because my worry is the finish and I don't want to botch it up more. I am not particularly worried about an exact match as the pink glass drops are only three, whereas the others number 30-40. If the finish is not right I can consider buying some replacement drops (have seen some lovely ones, quite like the originals on a website) as after all the chandelier is not mine, it belongs to the landlord. If it was mine I would probably go for a different colour to pink! Note to landlords - don't leave retro chandeliers in the hall of your rentals! Either they will get broken or some muppet will come along and want to wash them. :)

The solvent based paints have a better finish than the water based ones. I use Marabu and they don't need baking in the oven. If it's a light pink you'll need to get the right clear paint to go with the pink paint you buy, to try and get to the right colour. I find it difficult to paint large bits of glass without it going a bit streaky & bits of fluff/dust sticking to it.