PixieDust

Another nervous newbie.

Hello.

I don't see where to put introductions, so I hope this is the right place.

My mum and I always had a dream of having a little cottage, with a garden and some chickens. We lived in a 2nd floor flat. The years rolled on and my mum fell ill with strokes and I have cared for her for 12 years. 2 years ago I moved in with my long-term boyfriend and we have a lovely cottage in a rural location, (though some big towns not far away).

Long and short - we are getting chickens! After many arguments about if we would have them, where they would go, what house and what wire on the run; finally things are moving forward.For my birthday last week my OH bought me a lovely wooden chicken house, however, the nest box was damaged in transit, so we are getting a replacement. Today he came home with loads of poles to create the run, and he is getting weld mesh in due course. He is also very excited about constructing the door to the run - he seems to have some thing planned! I know where I will source the POL's, (hybrids), and even have chosen names for them based on the colours I want.

But this evening whilst sitting in the garden, I had a crisis, wondering if this is going to be as fun as I always imagined it to be. I have been looking into red mites and worming and stuff and it seems the best control is strong chemicals, which I am no fan of. I have no issues with birds - used to keep budgies for years, but am petrified I will hurt them trying to pick them up. I am worried my scatty Spaniel will frighten the birds to death and just generally feel quite nervous about embarking on this.

I have had lots of animals, no children and probably too late for me now, so this is quite an undertaking. I have so many questions about how often to use ant and louse powder to how long will a 20kg bag of layers pellets last?

I hope I haven't waffled on too much and hope to get to know you all better.

Hello and welcome to the forum. Reading around on here is a good idea, as is using the search box and reading the FAQs - chances are, someone else has asked the same question/had a similar problem. However you do need to keep a sense of perspective - reading the forum can give you the feeling that chickens are problematic creatures with all sorts of ailments. Don't forget that most people post on here when they have a problem, and it can skew your perception - people don't tend to post on the forum when everything's going well!

Chickens are fabulous fun, they are by far the easiest pets I've ever looked after and they provide eggs and compost too. You won't regret having them - yes, sometimes there are problems but it's not as common as you might think. Now, what breeds are you getting? :lol:

Hi Olly and thanks for the welcome.

Yes I agree, the majority of people go to forums when they have a problem to be resolved. However, this place seems really friendly and the sort of place just people come to have a natter.

Well, the hybrids are going to be 4 out of 6 that I like:

Withy Black

Withy Blue

Withy Sussex

Withy Blacktail

Withy Amber

Found here: Withy Poultry

I know they are just renamed for the farm, but I think these are my favourites. I am only allowed 4 though, which is hard because I have chosen 4 names and my friend wants to name one too. I stupidly said she could lol.

I have heard Ambers eat more, is this true?

Edited by Guest

I originally had 4 and then added another 4 having lost 2 recently. My girls eat about 120g of layers mash a day each... I have some BHWT girls and they are still growing their feathers back, and original hybrids which I started with. I have a Patterdale terrier who is very good and completely ignores my girls now after three years,(there is an electric fence between them but thats for mr fox), I can leave them out in the garden together with no worries!

Do watch out for the foxes they are around at all times of the day, I've had one strolling down my front path at 10 am on a Saturday morning bold as brass :) :)

Most of all enjoy your new girls, they will be fun and there's nothing like your own eggs :lol:

Hi cheekymonkey.

Yes foxes. Probably my biggest fear of all. I couldn't take on any animal and not do my utmost to ensure it's safety. This has been the source of more arguments with the OH lol.

Our neighbour, 3 doors down, has had up to 14 hens at one point. She allows them to free range daily - even when she isn't there. She has a much bigger garden than us which backs onto a field. I couldn't allow free ranging if I wasn't there. The neighbour is now down to 2 hens which are penned all the time. OH said whilst they are easy pickings, hopefully they will leave ours alone. In all honesty, I have never seen a fox on my travels here. Where I used to live we had probably a dozen foxes just in our road. When I visit my brother in the outskirts of London, I see more foxes there than here. But I know that means nothing!

We are getting weld mesh and burying it. Putting slabs down and boards and stuff. I will not even leave the girls for a second whilst they are free ranging.

I once had fresh eggs at a friend's house years ago. They were so nice. I can't wait :-)

Welcome pixiedust and what a journey you are about to embark on!!!!

I was in the same position as you when I started, was I doing the right thing, blah blah blah....but they are so rewarding, it won't be long before they are tapping on your back door when free ranging, or getting very excited when seeing you approach the run.

I went for ex-commercial girls and for me that is all I would ever want but I do look at posh girls and think???? What if...but not for me, ex cage fighters all the way:)))

Chooks are very intelligent and they will soon have you doing exactly what they want!!! A few mealworms and they will love you forever :clap:

I would love to rescue some ex-batts one day, but I feel I need to get some experience with non-abused chooks before taking that on. I have had hamsters for many years and now, where I can, try to get a rescue when getting a new one. One day...... 8)

Ambers may eat more if they lay bigger eggs or more frequently than the others PixieDust. As said, forums are generally for problems so reading them gets things very much out of perspective. We had no problems with red mite for two years and only got caught out big time because the coop wasn't checked properly and regularly. Basically we didn't know what to look for. Plenty of photos on the web now, but the pictures of seething masses isn't what you need, it's the first flecks of poo near gaps in the woodwork to look for and also under the perches first thing in the morning.

I would go a stage further when they free range and keep them inside a 50 metre electric net. To make life easier get an extra set of poles when you buy it. Urban foxes have been known to snatch chickens from under the noses of the owners and are not put off by dogs.

A 20Kg bag of feed will last 5 weeks for 4 hens. Buy good quality stuff and not the regular cheap ones with the three permitted chemical colourants in. Perhaps just £2 more a bag. You want your eggs to be better than the supermarket. 'Smallholder' is good with no GM crops used and added natural colour. Always check the 'use by' date on the bag.

I currently have a 'Black' and a 'Blue' as mentioned on your list, and in the past I've had a 'Sussex'

I also currently have a 'Silver'

All of your choices are very good :D . This is a great place to get help, if you ever need it, from :)

Having kept budgies in the past this will help you with your knowledge of birds and their anatomy etc

Thank you for all your advice. We have marked out the WIR today and 2 posts have been dug in. We haven't got a large run, 10' 6" x 7'. (3.2m x 2.13m), but as they can come out in the garden they are not without space. I squeezed it out from 10' x 6' with a minor arguement, which is just as well as we are going to have to play jiggery pokery with the house. Unfortunately, the slide out floor comes out of the back which means you need the depth of the house behind the house, if you get my drift.

The house is 4' 2"wide x about 3' depth, which means either the house is smack bang in the middle of the run or we have it up the end on the slabs and sleepers, and move it when we want to clean it.

The slide out tray is wooden, so I guess I will have to treat again to stop any warping. I was thinking of getting a cut of lino to line it and then put a few sheets of newspaper and some shavings on top. That way I can clean it out daily by removing the paper and shavings.

With regards pellets: I had already been looking at non-GM foods. I believe Marriages is quite good too? Anyone have any experience with this? What brands do others suggest?

I was thinking exactly the same thing 2 years ago pixiedust but everything falls into place. If you keep things clean and give them what they need nutritionally they'll be fine. I started with just 4 silkies, I now have 20! I also have 3 ducks, so along with the 3 cats we already had I have a crazy farm yard! :lol: But I wouldn't change it, I absolutely adore each and every one of them. They are amazing little things, they all have their own beautiful personalities.

The horrible side for me are illnesses/ diseases ( we didn't know until it was too late about the dreaded Mareks. But we hatched our own and vaccinated them).

And foxes!!! My hubby wee's in bottles and pours it around the whole garden. The cats help with scenting too! We have a fox watch that sends out a frequency that they don't like. And lots of fencing and galvanised mesh! I'm thinking about getting a electric fence too.

Make sure you've sorted out a good vet just incase!

You'll love it! They are ace! We don't have children either, I'm 32 and I have 26 fur babies! Xx

Thanks for your post Debbie.

Yes things are falling into place. OH thinks I am going to fail miserably at the getting up in the winter at 7am in the cold and pouring rain to let them out. I reminded him it isn't light til gone 8am, so they won't be out that early then. :lol:

The run building has gone very well thus far, except he has decided, (even though I stated from the beginning I wanted a roof), that we are having bird netting on top. The sides will have weld mesh which will be dug in. We are having gravel boards with wood chippings on the floor and he has made a beautiful gate out of trellis, a frame and weld mesh.

But I guess his little power trip is just not putting up a sold roof so he can secretly laugh at me cleaning out the chooks in the pouring rain.

Still, we have got this far. All I have to do is plant seeds, let them fester and congratulate him on his wonderful ideas :wink:

With regards the chooks: the house could, at a squeeze get 5-6 hybrids in but our run isn't that big and to be fair, digging here has had my OH cursing. Although he is a Head Gardener and Tree Surgeon and Estate Manager for a large country house, the soil here is solid clay. However, where we have situated the house and run has a very old flint and cinder road way under the lawn. It took him the whole of Saturday and Sunday to dig holes for 4 fence posts. So, expanding is most certainly a no-no! 4 is me lot! :cry:

I'd work on him over that roof if you can, PixieDust!

Firstly, bird netting won't keep a fox out.

Secondly, without a roof and with four chooks scratching around in a limited area when it rains the inside of your run will quickly resemble a bad day in the trenches in 1917 - it will be mud, mud, mud. And more mud.

Finally, in the very unlikely event that we ever get an incident of bird flu, one of the requirements last time as I recall was that poultry had to be kept in a covered run. To be fair, that might mean bird netting, I'm not sure.

Point No.1 is the clincher though.

For sure you will need to cover the roof either with Perspex or with transparent tarpaulins as a wet run ruins EVERYTHING and will have you in despair very rapidly, whereas having it all dry inside makes keeping the mess and smell down to a minimum easy-peasy.

I have tried. Unfortunately we have fought tooth and nail all the way. At the farm where he works they have netting over a very large pen but have a shed as a coop which means they clean out in relatively dry conditions. If a netting roof is good enough there then, he says, it's good enough here. It'll be a real shame if I can't change his mind as he is building the bottom like fort knox.

I don't say bad things about him often but he is very clever and skilled but very lazy of mind. He swears a fox won't get in "how is it going to get up there?" Refuses to believe a fox will climb or it can squeeze through small spaces. Yet he does know because why has he changed from a simple chicken wire pen to digging in weld mesh, gravel boards and chippings, all of which are something he flatly dismissed earlier in proceedings?

I may have to go over 1 winter and for it to get in a terrible mess before he rethinks things.

I know he is desperate to prove I won't cope with the chickens because he never wanted them in the first place. :wall:

Ok sent a text to him at work saying how it will keep down on mite and "I don't think either of us want to be standing in the pouring rain trying to keep the house dry whilst cleaning it out." I also said I am sure he will come up with a clever solution like he always does.

:twisted:

We shall see.

Hi, on our first run we started off with some roofed and some open because we thought it would be a change for the hens but soon put a roof over that section too because not only did it get muddy but was very rank although I have a particularly sensitive sense of smell! It now stays dry and is good for dust bathing and quickness of cleaning/maintenance is the main thing for us.

Hi, on our first run we started off with some roofed and some open because we thought it would be a change for the hens but soon put a roof over that section too because not only did it get muddy but was very rank although I have a particularly sensitive sense of smell! It now stays dry and is good for dust bathing and quickness of cleaning/maintenance is the main thing for us.

That's funny, that's how we started too :D

I'm afraid I can say a fox will get on the roof and give it a good chew. The neighbour over the back of us came round one day to tell us they had seen a fox on the run roof trying to get in. Hubby had heard all the racket but hadn't seen the fox. The girls can get quite distressed and could injure themselves if they panic and flutter about.

I do hope you can persuade your OH to put wire on the roof - it will be worth it in the end.

Well we had a rather large argument about it this afternoon during a thunderstorm - which was quite bizzarre!

I get the feeling he knows he has messed up but wont admit it. He refuses to watch youtube vids of foxes eating chicken wire and getting through tiny spaces, because then he would have to believe it. It's all down to money, which isn't actually an issue, but he can be penny pinching and pound foolish sometimes.

A little later he asked me about where I was seeing weld mesh at such a cheap price - eBay! And he did have a quick look at plastic corregated roofing.

The seed is attempting to germinate! :wink: