bluekarin

Nutriment for dogs

My Cocker has Nutriment. We moved from Natural Instinct too. Because he is quite a nervous chap he is in the low purine at the moment. He loves it. I got some T - bones free from the butcher last Thursday and he had one yesterday whilst we were doing chicken run stuff. He really enjoyed that.

I like the people at Nutriment. I found the people at Natural Instinct were too corporate after the changeover.

I hope Neela, my cocker, doesn't go off it! Currently she is still loving it. To the point if we say do you want breakfast she barks yes and runs to the kitchen stopping every now and then to check I am coming to feed her! My hubby is rather impressed at the reduction of poop as well. He doesn't take her for walks, part of the deal when we got her so not a problem, but I think if he did even he could clean up after her :lol:

It doesn't sound like Neela is about to go off Nutriment any time soon :lol: Tango also does the 'dinner dance' (as well as the breakfast dance and the supper dance :roll: ). It's lovely to know that she enjoys her food so much. She's a greedy madam and would probably be just as excited about being served kibble, but I can't help feeling that it must be far more interesting for them to eat raw than a dish full of dry pellets day after day.

The moggies don't seem to be going off it, thankfully. Cats don't do the dinner dance, bu they do lift their heads and look at the bowl in front of them, which is about as excited as they get :lol:

Cleo eats pretty much whatever's put in front of her but Loki really likes the beef flavour, only eating the others when he's hungry and when yowling doesn't get him anything else.

I'm pretty sure cats would consider it beneath them to do a dinner dance :lol: Tango, on the other hand, has no shame :roll:

Exactly! One of mine does wrap himself around my feet though, so I have no option other than to feed him as I can't move!

Cyrus sings like a wookie sometimes, while Ruby looks on in disdain.

Can anyone tell me if they have noticed their beef Nutriment smells really quite strong and rather disgusting? I am not sure if this Chubb I have is possibly not as fresh as some others. I did leave it out, as I have one with all the other flavours, to defrost before putting it into two of the plastic trays which the 500g packs are delivered in, before freezing one and putting the other in the fridge. Like I say, I haven't noticed the others smelling overly strong.

Woohoo! I am very pleased with my 6 month old cocker spaniel puppy, Maisy....she has just eaten her first portion of chicken back from my butcher without gobbling it down. She chewed it and used her back teeth for breaking it all up, in a very ladylike manner. Thanks to DM for your help and Natural Instinct who have been very good too, they recommended I put my gobbler puppy onto duck necks to get her used to using her teeth. I am so sad, as I am so pleased she has managed it without scaring the living daylights out of me!

If anyone out there is thinking about RAW, I thoroughly recommend it, a bit of reading up and a supplier of meat/fish is all that is required :D

That's great news clucker1, and well done to Maisy :clap:

It's really easy, isn't it? I have an under-counter freezer form Freecycle that houses all my dog meat and bones - works a treat for us, and I have mega-healthy dogs who love their food.

A quick tip... keep an eye on the 'condemned counter' at your local supermarket; they usually mark down the less popular cuts of meat. Last week, I picked up 3 packs, each containing 3 lamb's hearts for 50p per pack. My two have been dining like kings 8) They often sell off lamb neck, oxtail and stuff like that.

Thanks DM and thanks too for the tip in the supermarket. Yes it is easy peasy and far easier than trying to work out what was giving her big looser poos as she no longer suffers from that, plus ? if she was hyper due to the dog food as now it is all nice and natural RAW. I do still give her "processed" treats for convenience from Natures Menu along with dried liver and dried tripe, but you do have to watch what is in them. Her coat is so silky soft and she so enjoys her dinner! Maisy has 2 drawers of my small under worktop freezer plus now as I have so much to carry out of the butcher's, they carry it to my car....RESULT!

Not really, only really notice o'dour de dog when she is wet. Other than that our house doesn't smell doggy so far, but we do have hard flooring where Maisy is and I do wash her bedding and doggy towels frequently.

I can always tell a raw fed dog just by looking at it, and the smell too. LBB treats dogs with injuries and says that they 'feel' different and heal better.... not that we're obsessed or anything :lol:

I'm not sure Neela smells any better to be honest, but her coat is shiny despite being in desperate need of a bath! She does feel much more muscly all over. Her legs feel really strong, which I don't remember her feeling like when she was eating kibble.

Totally agree about the muscliness! People are always commenting on how fit and athletic Tango looks. Yes she gets exercised well, but so do lots of other dogs - I am sure most of it is down to her raw diet. As far as I can tell it promotes muscle rather than fat growth, and therefore an athletic physique.

Clucker1 - I will admit to having a large bag of gravy bones in the cupboard. Most of Tango's treats are dried fresh meat (sprats, beef scalp, pizzles) but gravy bones are her guilty pleasure :anxious: I think she would sell her soul for one!

Glad to hear Maisie's doing well and it's always better when there's no more stinky poo to deal with :vom:

Cleo-cat's coat has improved greatly on raw food, despite her constant medication. It used to be a bit lank and greasy and had dandruff, and is now much thicker and shiny with no dandruff (and she loves being brushed!) :D .

Aah, gravy bones - our dogs have them too. Biscuits for breakfast = food - Herbie opens his mouth, you put the biscuit in and he thinks about chewing it. Broken 1/2 biscuit in the field = treat worth galloping the length of the field and snatching your hand off for :roll:. We worry about that dog :anxious:

Are these gravy bones, Bonio ones or something different? A dog walker in the park gives her lab them and she loves them! If this is the case, I might have to try Neela on them as they look quite a cheap treat.

They are Bonio type (sold by the kilo from the pet stall on the market) and probably contain no nutrients whatsoever, which is why dogs love them. Our supplier does chicken "bones" as well, but our lot much prefer the gravy version. Definitely to be seen as a treat and not as real food!

Yes gravy bones are basically total rubbish :lol: The dog equivalent of a bag of crisps. I buy the bonio ones and Tango gets 2/3 per day. Whilst I try and keep her diet as grain free as possible, it doesn't actually have any adverse affect on her (ie no upset tummies) so I work on the basis that all things are fine in moderation :D

Mine love the black pudding sausage treats, which I cut up into small rounds like a 5 pence piece; they are from a natural foods company (can't remember the name) and seem to be a very high quality treat at the moment.

Result! Trip to the butchers today = 21 pieces of chicken carcass which works out to be under 10p per meal. Also some lamb bones to try (enough meat to feed a human on) and some free chicken and turkey giblets some for us and some for the dog! Advice please, any tips on what fish to feed your dog, so far I have done pilchards from a can, salmon from a can, and salmon skins (from our dinner)...(a favourite).

Your fish content is fine; avoid tuna though as it is thirst-making. I give mine fish treats by Jon Angell Petco, or Fish4Dogs, both good quality fish products.... mine love the skin twists.