bluekarin

Nutriment for dogs

Another post about dog food, I'm afraid. I currently feed Neela Applaws which she loves, but she does get an upset stomach every now and then and I don't know if it due to the food, or the various "treats" she finds when out and about :roll:

I have been reading up about Naturediet (some very bad recent reviews) and Nutriment which sounds good. Does anyone feed their dogs this? If so, how is it stored? Is it frozen or is it in sealed packs which can go in a cupboard?

Also, how much do you feed your dog it? According to the dog food recommendation site it could cost approx 67p a day which is cheaper than her current food which is approx 75p per day, and I was wondering how accurate that was. Thank you :D

Will be interested to see how you get on. I am thinking about changing to raw in a few weeks time. Also, I will be interested to know how the nutriment arrives re packaging ie is there a lot of packaging and can it be recycled. Also how does your dog respond when you get raw meat out of the fridge for human consumption....do they go bonkers thinking it is for them?

We've been feeding our shih tzu Daisy on a raw diet for over a year now. Right now she is on Nutriment, but sometimes I order Wolftucker for a change. I actually find the Wolftucker looks far chunkier and is less bloody once it's defrosted and as it comes in cardboard packaging very easy to just pop in the bin. The only thing that I did find with the Wolftucker is that Daisy's poos were softer than when she is on the Nutriment, have no idea why, but that was one of the reasons I went back to Nutriment. It does seem to be a good quality food and gets very good reviews :)

Previous Nutriment post here

http://club.omlet.co.uk/forum/viewtopic.php?f=28&t=96428&p=1282567&hilit=nutriment#p1282567

Still going down well in my house :D !

I really must pay more attention to posts as I clearly participated in that one :oops: Glad your tatters are still loving it. The photo of the boxes - how many weeks supply are those two boxes exactly? I may need a new freezer :anxious:

I order 24kgs (48x500g cartons), which comes in two boxes, and it takes up a a little under 2 1/2 drawers in an upright freezer. The two cats get through 2 cartons in 3 days.

We have two freezers - one a usual fridge-freezer and the other is a 5ft upright freezer - or there'd be no room for human food :D .

The food is here :D It came in a cardboard now with a polystyrene inner box which was filled with the food and layers of those small polystyrene pieces. The actual food is in a plastic tray with a cardboard outer. So, a fair amount of packaging, which could be more than halved if you live near someone who sells it so no need for delivery. I have to say that the food was still frozen. No idea how long it had been on the delivery van and it was delivered at 3.30pm so the packaging did its job :D

I have been trying to work out how much to give her. I think 220g per day as she is approx, or should be, 11kgs is about right.

Working out the costs, I think I have my figures right in that the 5kg delivery will last 22 days approx which equates to 85p per day. Slightly more than the dog food websites guide, but I am sure if I look around more I can find it a bit cheaper.

I don't have any experience of nutriment, but I do raw feed Tango and I would just say that finding the right amount to feed can be trial and error. Use the guidelines on the box as a starting point but don't be afraid to increase/decrease the amount you feed depending on whether the dog gains/loses weight. Tango is also 11kg but I feed her between 300-350g per day so there's quite a lot of flexibility in feeding as you can see! I am sure Neela will love her new diet :D

We have a place locally that stocks Nutriment, they deliver locally and charge £2 for very local deliveries and £4 for where we live, so it's cheaper than ordering from the Nutriment site. I do find the plastic packaging takes up more space than the Wolftucker boxes, or maybe it's the size of my freezer basket. I bought 24 boxes and couldn't get them all in one basket so quite a few are in with our food. When I bought the same amount of Wolftucker it all fitted in one basket.

I feed Daisy 3% of her weight so one box lasts her 3 days and she is exactly the same weight as she was a year ago, so I guess that's the right amount for her. I work it out at about 50p a day, which isn't bad, although some of the packs are more expensive, like the beef & duck ones for example. I tried the salmon once and found it to be really sloppy and awful and won't be buying that again.

So far, she has had the Nutriment for breakfast and kibble for dinner and she seems to be okay on it. She loves the Nutriment, well the chicken and the beef ones as not tried the fish or duck yet. Will be a very slow intro as she has quite a bit of kibble left :roll: but I can't wait until she is just on the raw. I will say, and I don't know if this is a coincidence, her coat is looking quite shiny :D much more so that usual and this is a week or two after her last bath.

So, I am a complete beginner at this dog lark at the moment with a 13 week old cocker spaniel, presently on Arden grange puppy food which seems fine and a very healthy looking dog from my limited experience ha ha! Anyway, might look at swapping over to Nutriment after our holiday but what is this fish and coconut oil?

It's in the food! You don't need to add anything to it. Neela was on Arden Grange but I found it such a challenge to get her to eat it :( She then went onto Applaws which she really liked, even more so after her spay and now she is on that and Nutriment. But aww to a 13 wk old puppy! I remember Neela at that age :D such a bundle of fun and naughtiness :wink: How are you finding the early mornings or is yours good as gold?

Thank you both, yes...she is very aww! I have 2 friends with working cockers, one has 4 and competes at Crufts and Olympia and all of them are on Arden Grange and look well that is why I went with AG, plus easy to buy just down the road from me. Needless to say it is gobbled down which I am pleased about. The downside of the Nutriment for me is the packaging, there is a pic I think on their fb page of the huge polystyrene blocks they must send with the food in, someone has cleverly recycled them for growing tomatoes in, but I am not that clever! Having had a dog before I am now enjoying the no begging for human food we used to get with our terrier when we fed him raw. He used to smell raw meat coming out of the fridge for us and go bonkers. On the other hand I went to a talk given by a vet who is an ardent raw feeder so do feel a bit guilty if I don't feed her raw.

You must do what works for you and don't feel guilty. Neela was a right begger even before raw, which I blame on my hubby who gives her bits and bobs when he's finished eating. The packaging is the only downside, and what I have put in my review. If only they sold it near to me, that would be great.

That idea for growing toms in the boxes is brill! Will do that now :D