quickcluck

Omleteers with a tortoise chat........

Hughie is still running around the house, as I found out yesterday on Skype to the family :lol:

We've not hibernated him before and don't plan to this year - I read up about it last year but our vet and the reptile shop recommended not doing so, especially as he's not used for breeding?

Kevin is very much a free range sort of fella! He lives outside until the weather gets cold. We then bring him in before he buries himself in the garden. Rather glad we do after having seen a weasel/stoat in the garden last week :anxious: He then gets slower and slower until he stops.We then pop him behind the heavy curtains in the living room and around Easter he wakes up and comes to find my walking boots! He rather likes them :D He hates being indoors though and wanders the house looking for a way out when he has the energy :( This is him at the weekend, looking grumpy. Someone asked me how I can tell if he looks grumpy = I know my tortoise, he is grumpy in this photo :lol:

7f83a2ce-df52-4561-9096-b30a7d49d17b_zps2047760d.jpg

Enzo sounds very similar to Kevin. Free ranges round our secure garden (all brick walls) all summer, comes in at night this time of year. He stomps around the house rearranging furniture until he runs down. Poop is not pleasant, but also not frequent, and not too bad on tiled floors (unless you happen to step in it). He knows better than we do when the time comes, but you can bet he won't vary by more than a few days year to year when it comes to bedtime.

Hi guys... just wondering how everyone's torts are doing now it's spring. Are they all out of hibenation???

I've started to put mine out on sunny days... they tend to dig themselves a hole around 5pm time... then I bring them in again. Not sure when they can go into their eglu and live outside tho.....

They have both really grown :D Tilly is most definately incharge tho!

Kevin is awake and thankfully aways eats without any issue. We sadly lost a young Russian tortoise who didn't survive a semi hibernation. She had suffered several dog attacks and whilst her wounds contracted and healed quite well she didn't make it despite stomach tubing :(

On the brighter side though Kev is in good shape but he is digging himself in in the early evening and so we are bringing him in at night. We give him a couple of hours under the heat lamp and a good feed in the morning before he goes out again. Despite the recent sun the wind has been cold so I think they need a bit of support at the moment. Kev hates being indoors and did a massive dirty protest this morning before being let out :lol::vom:

So sorry about your loss CM, that couldn't have been nice finding her that way....

Please the torts are getting up and about. Mine have been indoors today as it's been raining all day... never really sure what to do in this weather as tilly just digs a hole if it's chilly so don't know whether she's better being kept indoors... any thoughts????

So sorry about your loss CM, that couldn't have been nice finding her that way....

?

Thanks. We had taken her in as a rescue as she was so badly injured. Gutted she didn't make it.

I would be tempted bring yours in at night and give them some food and heat before they go out for the day. I don't think it is warm enough at the moment to warm them up enough to get them out of their overnight dig ins and keep them eating.

One of the things we did for Enzo originally was set up an anglepoise lamp with a reflector bulb in, on the floor in the kitchen. He soon figured out that sitting under it was good for recharging. Outdoors, we made him a small house, which is more like a cold frame, with a clear plastic top and solid sides. That heats up the ground and he can wander in and out as he wants, he knows it's always dry there. Last year though, he took to sleeping under the conifer at the top of the garden. Couldn't figure it out until we realised that it's the first spot in the garden to get the sun in the morning. Torts are smart!