quickcluck

Omleteers with a tortoise chat........

I've have a good read of the Tortoise Trust website and then have a look at one of the rehoming sites.

They're great family pets to have around but a long term commitment and not very handleable for small children (Hughie loves biting toes) so maybe also consider a Gecko or Bearded Dragon.

I spoke to Tortoise Protection Group a couple years ago and found them very unapproachable as they were strict but not constructive with advice, but the British Chelonia Group were very helpful and encouraging.

The Tamworth and District Tortoise Society were also very helpful last year, who aren't too far away from you :D

Oh cute!!!!

I've been put off approaching rescue centres - they sound SERIOUSLY scary - they give the impression they don't really want anyone to have a tortoise from them - understand they want to be cautious etc, but they seem really unfriendly :(

That's what I felt with TPG, they had a Hermanns up for rehoming 10mins from us which was kept in an old aquarium, I emailed them am application with photos of our indoor and outdoor set up and was told we'd have to make lots of changes - an adapted eglu was also a definite no no.

8 months later she was still in the aquarium... Makes no sense to me.

British Chelonia Group were much more welcoming and encouraging though :D

OH went out this morning to let the girls out and found Enzo stranded on his back :( He was about a metre from where he normally digs himself in overnight; that spot is covered by a plastic rabbit house for extra protection - the house was a bit further away and there was hedge debris scattered around. Don't know how long he was like that, he was tucked in at 11 last night when last checked.

He was well tucked into his shell but popped his head out at the sound of OH's voice. Bought him in to check him over, there's no obvious sign of damage or injury. Then he promptly pee'd all over the kitchen floor! Left him inside for a bit then put him back in his greenhouse with a supply of fresh water. Just crossing everything and hoping there's no internal damage done :anxious:

Guessing it might be a curious fox - we do back onto farmland but we've not seen one for years, (probably due to having a male greyhound...) although there was no sign of any activity round the Eglu.

How worrying for you! thankfully he was not any the worse for wear after his ordeal..... I went up and found tiberious wedged on his side today. Makes you wonder how they get like that in the first place! I do worry what would happen if they were stuck like that for a while..... :?

Our dog used to flip Kevin when she was a puppy. We used to find him stranded on the lawn. Thre is no way they can right themselves.

Kev is a bit odd this year. He has been slower to get going and has been spending time in parts of the garden that he has not used before. He has also got into they cube run a few times :? It might be down to the odd weather. I am going to look at for a poo sample for a worm egg count. Current advice is to only worm after a positive worm egg count.

So going to hibernate my 2 this year for the first time as they are too big for the inside table. I have got a big plastic box with lid that I will drill many air holes in, fill with hay and plan to put them in the loft. Is this an OK plan for those with hibernation experience???

Will they just put themselves to bed on their own and I'll just scoop them up and put them away? any ideas when that is likely to happen? They are still up and munching away at the moment....

Thanks

K

They ideally need to be a good weight and have stopped eating and 'empty' and worm free before they hibernate. Kevin gradually slows down and stops eating. We then 'clear him out' by giving him a couple of baths which usually do the trick. We no longer package him up. We leave him to slow down and fall asleep when and where he likes indoors. We bring him in when it gets cold enough for him to want to dig in. Once asleep we pop him behind our heavy living room curtains which is quite and draft free. He then usually emerges briefly for Christmas because of the noise and then properly around Easter time.

Thanks for that. Will watch their eating habits, they are not eating as much now. Good idea about the bathing tho so will do that. They have both put on weight, Tiberious is over a kilo now!

Think they will have to go into a box, as the doggies are fasinated by them, might put them under the stairs, some say in earth for the moisture, others in hay or in a fridge :shock:

We were worried the first winter we had Enzo as he was already an adult when we got him, but they know better than we do when it's time! On the weight front, check the Jackson Ratio comparing weight to length as per this http://www.tortoisetrust.org/articles/measuring.htm. That will confirm that they are a safe weight to hibernate successfully.

During autumn wind-down, Enzo goes outside by day and in at night. Ours goes in an insulated ventilated box with straw in the garage. We keep an indoor/outdoor thermometer with the box and aim to keep the inside temperature at 3-5 celsius. Depending on the weather, that is done by either having the box on the floor when it's warm, taking it off the floor when colder or pointing an anglepoise lamp at the box from various distances if the garage gets much below freezing.

Kevin is in ready to wind down for hibernation. He had a massive dirty protest but has now parked himself under a radiator in the dining room which is standard practice for him at this stage. Have managed to stop the Hattie (puppy) from standing barking at him.She paid no attention to him in the garden :roll:

We had a bit of a dilemma this week. Got my fridge up and running, then decided to weigh them and Tilly is too small :shock::shock: Going be the jackson graph she is only 0.16 Tiberius is 0.19.

So they are now back inside in an extended table with the lights on. The chap where they came from says to feed them up, then start a wind down/cooling at the end of November then hibenate them for only 4-6 weeks as they are still very young.....

Can I ask those of you that have their torts roaming about indoors, how do you cope with the poop situation? Or do you have them only on non carpeted floors???

Also does anyone else use a fridge???

Thanks

During the cold spell a couple of weeks ago, Enzo came in at night then we put him out in the day. Occasionally, we had some "mess" but he was on a tiled floor so it was never too bad, provided the dog didn't walk through it :anxious: He did occasionally walk through the lounge as well but has never left anything on the carpet!

For the last week or so he's been staying outside in his greenhouse, but we bought him in last night and put his box in the garage so that he didn't get warm again. Having checked back through his diary, he's remarkably consistent, having hibernated between 27th October and 4th November for the last 6 years.

Edited by Guest

As Kevin naturally slows down and stops eating, he stops pooing too. They need to empty themselves before hibernating so we usually pop him in a warm bath which encourages a last drink and a poo. We keep him on tiles floors (or try to) until then as a tortoise poo with a shell dragged through it on the carpet is no fun :vom::lol: