sarabb4

Shopping for hens

Well despite it's lack of fame, I took a chance and got 3 new chooks from Cidermill Farm today. 2 hens and oops! A cockerel. Have been coveting one for a while and have brought home a rather splendid looking Gold Partridge Pekin.. I really hope we can keep him and he doesn't cause anyone to complain as he is beautiful and so far, apparently very good natured. I've had chickens for 10 years but never had a cockerel before.. Any special things I need to know? He has 8 ladies to keep him company and they are all part free range.. Despite a bumpy journey home in a van and a bit of wrangling with my original hens- we haven't heard him doodle once yet.., are we in for a nasty shock in the Mornin?! They are all in a cube..

Wish me luck..

Xx

Now proud owner of 3 pekins, 1pekin Malay x, 1maran bantam, 1 Wyandotte bantam, 1 Wyandotte legbar x, 1 pekin legbar x and 1 legbar ? x !!!

Congrats on the new chooks and mister cockerel! Hopefully he will not be too loud... :lol: sounds like a nice mix of breeds!

Slightly confused though... They are all in the Cube? Does that mean you immidiately put the new ones in with the old? Shouldn't you quarantine the new ones for a bit?

Congrats on your new chickens. I got my first cockerel, Mr Darcy (also an extremely handsome gold partridge pekin - the original Kellogg's bird!) about 18 months ago. He completely sorted out my warring females within two days, and has taken charge ever since. Lovely to watch how he looks after them and calls them over if he finds a tasty titbit. He does crow (quite loudly, quite early :lol: ) but we do live in the country and our lovely neighbours say they love the 'country sound'! My husband isn't quite as enthusiastic.....

Do please post some pics!

I kept the new ones in a large dog crate for a few hours this afternoon so old and new could see each other and they all seemed relaxed - so I released the new ones into the run with the others about half an hour before went to bed.. There was a small amount of argy bargy, but really nothing to be concerned by and they all put themselves to bed... I have never quarantined I must admit!! Actually it has never occurred to me to do so.., I'll keep a close eye on them over the next few days and if there's any terrible violence will take measures! I will also hope to take some pics and put one on here. ( not of the violence! Their lovely colours!)

We have, Margaret, Whitey, The Minion ( who is mean!), Goldie, Chickery Chickeroo, Blackie, and today's arrivals, Hermione, Ron and Ginny.

Can you tell I have children too?! X

I haven't come across withy cottage. Yes, Newdigate in surrey. I don't think they've been operating very long as a poultry place. They're primarily dog breeders. Possibly last year was their first? I found them on preloved and Friday ad.. They have a flock of hybrids and pens with frizzles, pekins, Polands, silkies and legbars and lots of ducks....

I'm going to attempt to post a couple if pics - can't get one of all of them! They are surprisingly all peaceable today! And so far- not one crow!!!!!!!(or not one we heard anyway and our bedroom overlooks the coop..)

Intend to put on some more pics of the others but it is soo time consuming!! Do u think he looks fully grown? I thought he was but the lack of crowing has made me wonder otherwise!!? Really fond of him already.. He's scared of most of the girls - but is looking after the newbies that arrived with him!

Ooooo!! He crowed!!! Having not heard a peep from him for 48 hours(including leaving our windows open near the coop cos I wanted to see if he would disturb us), we came back from a few hours out and he did yell!! I think he sounded an alarm when he heard our van pull up on the drive... Interesting as It seems to be the only thing that has prompted his doodle... Or was he just settling in?!