MaryHen

Worried about Doris!

Hi everyone

I'm a little worried about Doris - she seems a little forlorn at the moment. I first noticed it on Sunday, she isn't fighting for mealworms like the others and took herself off to bed early and generally seems a little slower...she isn't an old lady as I got the chucks at the end of July.

Doris is at the bottom of the pecking order and I wondered whether this was getting her down; I've seen Amber head butt her several times. I'm also worried about her feeding; the girls are only seem to like to eat out of the grub at the moment and ignoring the other feeder I have, so I'm wondering whether she can't get to feed.

Last night me and hubby shut the cube door when she went in early and took her out and gave her some mealworms and I did a quick check over and she seems to be fine.

Do chucks go a little melancholy at times? :think:

Any other suggestions would be welcome.

Thanks!

They don't usually get forlorn. Have you checked her for mites, are her eyes and nose clear, is there any rattles when she breathes. It may be that she's being bullied but the peck7ng order is perfectly natural. Does she feel.l lighter than the others.Im sure someone will be along with more ideas

Her eyes are clear and no mites; she has developed diarrhoea today and my other two's poo's are a bit runny too.

I changed there food on Saturday to another brand and I wonder whether this is the problem.

I've bought more of there original brand today and put that I their feeders and also put some poultry tonic in their water. I've also got some poultry drops that I'll give Doris tonight.

Really worried about them, so much so that I've cancelled my weekend away, which I wouldn't enjoy if I knew they were poorly.

I bought the girls at the end of July from a very reputable source as point of lay; do you think they could need worming this soon?

Doris Update;

Last Wedensday/Thursday I had some long days at work so didnt get a chance to spend any time with them but was working from home on Friday. It was apparent that Doris was not good. She wasnt eating or drinking and just sat under the run. At this point I decided to take her to the vet.

The vet checked her over and she had no crop problems and also felt her abdomen and that was OK. The vet commented that she felt thin as well. The vet suggested a course of anti-biotics and worming and to keep her seperate from the other hens.

Well I got home and seperated her and it was quite obvious that she was severley depressed at being seperated from her friends; the others were adjitated too. So, with the vets approval I am worning and antibioticing them all to enable Doris to be with her friends.

Over the weekend I made some mealworm porridge for the girls and managed to get her to eat some and on Sunday she started to eat out of the feeders and drink. I also noticed that her poos seemed to be getting back to normal. Yesterday she even ran to get the meal worm treat!! I think she might be gradually getting better but she is thinner than the others.

I've started worming them today, so no treats or out of the run for a week!

Its been really upsetting stressful as I havent known what to do for the best and to help her get better. I just hope that she is on the road to recovery.