Chicken shack

Poorly duck (died)

When I let the ducks out this morning one of the Indian runners was hardly able to walk. She had a drink but was unable to get in the paddling pool. I picked her up but couldn't see any obvious signs of injury. Went out this after noon and she was just standing hunched. Picked her up and she looked thin in the neck. I've put her in a cat crate in the shed with food and water and covered it with a blanket leaving one end uncovered. She was ok last night when I put them away. Any suggestions? I've never had a sick duck before. She is at least 4 years old and hasn't laid since June.

Hi I'm sorry to hear about your duck the thing with ducks is they very rarely get ill but when they do its all very quick and like any other animal are good at hiding signs of illness. It could have been anything one of my old girls pepper she was 8 perfectly fine went to bed opened up in the morning on Christmas eve she was dead must have been a heart attack very sad but I am glad it's all rather quick leanne :)

I am sorry about your little duck, Chicken shack. I never can quite get my head round how birds get sick and die so quickly. One day all seems well and the next they are past medical aid :( I've had that with my doves and my chickens though not yet with my ducks who are still young. I know that people have the same even with parrots.