Blackrocksrock

KNEES!!

Mine are dodgy from too much sport when I was younger; my uncle (retired orthopaedic surgeon) advised that cortisone injections are only about 50% effective. I'm on Cod Liver Oil and Glucosamine Sulphate, which seems to be helping with all achy joints - it takes a while to build up to a good level, but it's now working well.

The boy's sister has had both knees replaced (due to arthritis) in the last 6 months; she's only 60, but was having a lot of problems. The recovery time is fairly long, but she finds the new joints a lot better.

Yes weight loss is also the way to go and walking but because i cannot exercise its a catch 22 situation and yes I am overweight again having lost our dog over a year ago so no regular 3 times a day walks!! - I have a treadmill coming net week but the knee is really screaming these days - the pain at night is not good. My surgeon is not keen on the cortisone injections either as they can introduce infection but surely pain relief could be better than this?.

Edited by Guest

I have some Kinesiology blue tape but never had much success with it - I have various different braces and pull on things but nothing really works - The painkillers work but am on the last ones I can take as I cannot take any opiod ones - I am on Naproxen since last week and yes they work better but I try to do wihout them. I may try to use the tape while on the treadmill to help.

My mum has suffered with arthritis for many years, and one of her main problems has been her knees. She had a knee replacement in July and recovery has been a long process, but this is mainly due to her weight.

Her surgeon has recommended an excercise bike as it is less weight bearing on the legs.

I only know of one person who had an arthroscopy and they think it made things worse, but that is just one person, and not a particularly reliable one.

I have only experienced cortisone injections in horses but they definitely have a positive effect.

As with anything ailing our joints we are advised to lose weight.

And exercise .

Yes well they don't hurt do they ?

Right ....so take the meds , cut out naughty things in your diet and get down to your swimming pool and gentle walking is good , it tones the muscles up so they support the joints. And the water resistance is a good workout.

I was very sceptical but haven't used my wheelchair at all this as winter as I go to the gym and get in the hydrotherapy pool and walk . Forwards , sideways and backwards , everyday when I can but 3-4 times a week is my average, then into the sauna afterwards to warm up .

As I have multi joint involvement and problems , movement hurts , but at least I am moving , not losing much weight but I feel lots better in myself.

You could always ask to go to hydrotherapy at your local hospital and get some exercises which you do in the water then carry on at your gym / pool.

Wow Angie - well done on not using the wheelchair all winter - yes exercise is down to us and it and weight loss seems to be the key - I have shoulder, hip, feet hands and knees sore but the knee is the worst - the new meds certainly seem to be working and we dont have a hydrotherapy pool locally the nearest one is 18 miles away for DOGS!!. The local swimming pool does not open at the weekends and again a drive of 18 miles to the other one so I will just have to do the treadmill walking at home on my own i think - its far too slippy to be outside right now anyway and I am scared i fall - and yes I need to lose the lbs erm stones and hopefully it will come off.

I suffered with bad elbow joints for years and tried glucosamine as suggested by GP. Works for about half the people who try it, but does take 3 months before you know if it has worked. In my case at almost exactly 3 months I woke up one morning with no pain and it stayed that way. I kept up with the dose for about a year and then stopped. Two years later and the problem reoccurred so back to the glucosamine. Stopped again a year later and no problems at all up to now, which is 8 years.