Orangediva

A couple of housing/ run questions?

Well everything is moving as planned towards me getting my 3 hens - tree surgeon has removed the trees where I want to place the run, I've done my chicken "course" and I've picked up a truly bargainous Eglu Classic with 2m run and the Omlet fencing. I hope to go and pick up my weed suppressing matting, plastic drainage sheeting and woodchip at the weekend. I just have a couple of queries?

I'm planning on attaching the Eglu run to an Omlet WIR and I have the choice of a full height 2m x2m WIR or a low rise 2m x 3m WIR for the money I have - what would be best? More floor area or more height?

Secondly, if I wanted to get more chickens in the future can I add a second Eglu to the same WIR set up? Are there any issues re fighting etc when two houses are attached to the same run?

Finally how can I securely attach mesh to the ventilation holes in the Eglu?

Many thanks for any advice, this is getting exciting now!

The 2x2 is best for you. The 3x2 is best for the hens. All our runs are low (1.1m) and it is a major struggle to clean them out. I think on balance I would agree with Cat Tails and Chicken Shack. Perches will make it larger for them and you can increase the run size when you can.

Two coops in the same run has been done. The run will need to be enlarged considerably, there will be fighting and some will change coops. You can have overcrowding and fighting problems when they all favour the same one.

I haven't got an eglu, but I think the plastic is polypropylene. If so glue won't work well at all. You will need short self tapping screws and large 'repair' washers I think. Perhaps Omlet can suggest something?

Thank you all for the advice, think the full height WIR will be best then. I've got some saved logs and branches from my tree removal so I can add levels and perches to make things more interesting for them plus they will be out a lot as well. I must admit I love the full height bunny run I have - though it's been too cold and my girls haven't been in it much, the fact that i can go in and sit with them is a major bonus. And it looks cool in the garden too, of course!

Beantree - perhaps I'd be better to try and get a Cube instead of the Eglu in the future if I want more hens. My garden isn't massive so three seems ideal for now anyway.

I'm completely flummoxed re attaching my wire mesh, I'll ask my dad if he can do it, if not think ill ask Omlet.

I think I read on the stoat attack thread that wire wool stuffed into the holes might work? I wonder if you stapled it to a small baton which was on the inside, it wouldn't be pulled out?

I have 2 eglus inside my WIR. The girls already knew each other when the new one was put in so I had no problems with fighting. They generally split themselves equally between the 2 with no help from me.

My dad says he'll come round an have a look.

I have 2 eglus inside my WIR. The girls already knew each other when the new one was put in so I had no problems with fighting. They generally split themselves equally between the 2 with no help from me.

Your walk in run set up looks fantastic - as do your girls, what lovely colours :(