jjmack

Cats fur fallen out

Hi, have been given broadline to use with our cat instead of advocate and milbemax, put it on her neck a few days ago. The fur in the area I put it all matted and continued to look wet, then the last couple of days I've noticed bits of fur all over the place. I've groomed her this evening and now she has a large bald patch on the back of her neck. Has anyone else had this? Just wonder if I didn't get it on the skin and this matted the hair, which has then come out as she's tried to groom it, or whether it's a side effect. It does say itchy skin and hair loss is a mild side effect.

Any experience gratefully received. Can't go through this palaver each month!

My mom has used a wormer that needed to be applied in the neck, in stead of Milbemax. Vet said it was more effective against all stages or worms.

I really don't like it. It stays oily a long time and the fur indeed gets matted and has a whitish powdery look after a few days. We will ge going back go Milbemax.

Haven't had any hearloss, but the cat really doesn't like it much. It just looks yucky and sticky.

Just curious, but why are you worming every month? I do it max every 3 months.

Doing every month cos the vet said so! It's because it's a joint wormer and parasite/ flea killer. When I used advocate and milbemax I did the advocates monthly and milbemax 6 monthly. How bizarre that they are all different frequencies.

One of my cats had a bad reaction to a spot on treatment, she scratched her fur out in chunks around her neck and ended up with a deep wound in one patch. The vet reported it and she was treated for free, I have been very reluctant to treat her with anything since, she seems to be flea free as does her sister and they aren't big hunters so worms aren't a problem either.

Cats can get worms even if they don't get out. You can take eggs in with you on your shoes etc.

So if your cats get out, even if they don't hunt, they most likely will have worms. I would encourage you to worm your cat anyway. Milbemax is an oral wormer, so no need for spot on treatment.