izemum

Advice on siting a new coop

Hi all

I am a newbie and I am looking for advice as to where to site my coop. Even if I go for the cube, I want a fixed sit so that I can have them on wood chips.

I have two options, the first is close to the back door (leads out from the kitchen) it is next to the space that we use the most (kids play/outdoor eating etc). This is near the outdoor tap.

The second option is in our large side garden - a very underused space but lots of potential for free ranging and more space for the addition of a walk in run etc. The hose does reach here and there is a shed for feed etc. but just less connected to every day life.

In the first option (Close to the house) I am mainly worried about the smell.

In the second option, (away from the house in a larger area) I worry that they will be less convenient to tend to and maybe enjoy watching etc.

What would you advise? Has anyone put their chickens in a location they regret?

Thanks in advance for your help!

That's a tricky one :think: . My walk in run is very close to my house (about 4 ft from my kitchen window) and I can see them pottering about while I'm in the kitchen, which is lovely. Having said that, my garden is tiny so I can see them from anywhere at the back of the house :lol: .

I don't have any issues with smell at all (and I don't particularly do anything to prevent it, maybe apart from keeping the bedding dry and poo picking every day).

Would your girls have somewhere to freerange if they were close to the house? That might be the deciding factor. Also, would you end up resenting the loss of your eating/kids' play area?

On balance, although you wouldn't be able to see them so easily, it sounds like your hens would benefit more from being in the larger area (assuming they'd be safe from predators/escaping etc!).