sew-1

Classic versus Go - ease of cleaning?

Hi all,

Sorry to flog the usual Go/Classic question but I am now at the final stages of going ahead with my chicken set up (after 5 years of preplanning!)

I would really would appreciate your honest opinions/comments/guidance on which to get. Most importantly, which is easier to clean?

I much prefer the shape of the Go but really like the idea of the egg collection hatch on the Classic. It seems to me that the Go is much easier to clean with both of the bases coming out easily but can you please give me your user experience guidance please?

Many thanks!

I only have the Go Up and no experience with the Classic. But I love my Go Up. Super easy to clean, and have access. Collecting eggs is no problem. When I'm home late, I sometimes have to shuffle the chickens aside a bit, but they don't really mind.

I actually liked the shape of the Classic more, but I loved the idea of the coop being raised from the ground and it's perfect!

Chickens have a place to shelter from rain and sun underneath the coop.

I do understand that apparently the plastic quality of the Classic is better than the Go (again, never seen one in action myself), but so far it hasn't been a problem at all.

Good luck choosing!

Ps: this shows my routine for cleaning, but it probably applies to all Eglus. Click!

Have a regular Go - never used a Classic.

Go is very easy to clean - quick poo clean out takes a couple of minutes but is also very easy to dismantle and pressure wash.

I would like an egg port though, I find that unless the base is completely level it can be fiddly to get the back door to open.

Not had a Go but when I saw one I thought they were not the same quality as the Classic and secondly I didn't like the idea of no egg port.

Cleaning is very simple in the Classic, I prefer it to the cube but I know I am in the minority there.

I would go for a Classic if I was you.

Good luck choosing.

Chrissie

Have a regular Go - never used a Classic.

Go is very easy to clean - quick poo clean out takes a couple of minutes but is also very easy to dismantle and pressure wash.

I would like an egg port though, I find that unless the base is completely level it can be fiddly to get the back door to open.

^^^ Agreed, particularly that last point.

Thanks so much!! Your replies are hugely helpful.

@Chrissie - do you mind explaining to me how you clean your Classic please? I need to be able to imagine doing it to see the difference between choosing a GO or Classic and I just can't see how it's best done.

Do you lift off the lid, remove the bars and tray and just spray it all off? Is there a drainage hole in the base for water to drain out?

As opposed to the Go, just pulling both trays out, spraying off and replacing?

Thanks for the info about build quality - very interesting as I'd never considered it.

Egg port big deal to you guys or could you live without it?

Thanks!

The question about build quality came up before. I've not had a Classic, just the Go. OH's take on it was that - because the Go has more flat surfaces than the Classic - when you lean on it you'll see more flex in the material. He did it hard enough once to put a small crack in the top by the hole for the door control, but it's never caused any problems. Other than that, the quality should be equal.

Hi everyone,

Thanks for that. I am going to stick with the Go in that case. The idea of having to take the lid off entirely to clean in the middle of winter doesn't appeal! Whereas with the Go I can just slide out the two trays, deal with those and then on a big clean day take it all apart.

Now to find a Go!!! (Hen's teeth might be easier!!)

Thanks for your help.

You can slide the tray out on the Classic.

It only take the top off for a big clean and it is very simple to take off and put back on. Only takes a couple of seconds, take the securing pin out slide the bar and lift, done!

I poo pick the nest each day when I let then out as some sleep in there.

Chrissie

Hi - I have a cube and a classic, and have looked after friend's chickens in their Go. I find the classic quicker to clean than the cube, but both are quite easy. I didn't find the Go quite so quick as the classic, but that might be because it was new to me. My main preference for the classic over the Go though was the space for the birds inside and the nest box - the classic is much better on both counts in my opinion.