jimnpaula

Squirty growers! Advice needed please.

My little ladies are getting bigger, but their tummies still seem quite loose! I expected it after getting them home due to the change in environment but I would have thought it should have settled by now? I have them on a mix of Marriages chicken and turkey growers feed (the turkey stuff was bought for the older girls for the extra protein during moult) and they have growers grit.

Is the turkey feed too much protein for them? It's about 18% in the chicken and about 20% in the turkey. Is looseness normal for growers? Should I worm them? I haven't seen any worms. They must be about 12 to 16 weeks old - this is my first time with anything younger than POL so I'm not sure what to expect.

I would stop the turkey growers. Are you giving them any greens. I would stop that too if you are. Mine have never had squirty tummies. I think if they are 12 weeks they are too young to be wormed, if 16 they would be ok. Just keep everything plain and simple for now. You could just for peace of mind sterilize their feeding and drinking equipment and give their housing a good old scrub. I'm sure they'll be fine. Keep us up to date !beehaus :)

Thanks Chickabee. I changed out the turkey food this morning so they just have chicken growers. They don't get greens very often but I did put them out on the grass for 30 mins yesterday and the day before which they seemed to enjoy, but I won't do that today. Bland diet it is then :)

I don't think the excess protein would do any harm if you want to use the turkey feed up.

If they're a bit loose it should settle as they start laying. If you notice any blood in their poo then I'd keep a close eye out for coccidiosis but don't worry if not.

I haven't seen any blood (not in poo anyway, from pecked new feathers yes) and they all seem quite well and actively eating and drinking.

The Welsummer is making deeper noises and the others are still peeping, except for when I pick up the light Sussex who finds her deeper voice to express her dismay :lol: The little legbar/mutt is growing a nice beard and bouffant hairdo and has pretty 'eyeliner', she's also the easiest to catch. The speckled Sussex doesn't like cuddles probably due her new feathers being uncomfortable.

Hi yes i wouldnt think the dodgy tummies is down to the grass or turkey growers if im rearing chicks and turkey poults they all eat the same food i think its better to rear birds on grass if you can. But as lewis says just keep an eye on them you dont always see blood in poo for coccidiosis symptoms are hunched up ,sleepy ,no energy,head shaking,yellow poo with or without blood and generally looking unwell but yours dont sound like this you could always get some herban and add that to the water i love the stuff leanne :)