chickencam

Electric flea traps?

Has anyone used these and are they effective?

Our cats have flea allergic dermatitis which is getting worse, we groom them with flea comb and rarely see fleas, we also treat them and their bedding with a Bob Martin pesticide free flea and tick spray. Their fur is clean, but one has always been a compulsive groomer. She is very stressy and when we first got her when she was about 2 years old she had big holes in her fur from spending 6 weeks in a cage. :( they are now about 10 years old and the other one is severely allergic to spot in treatments, she literally tears her fur out. They have both now also developed asthma too, out vet recommended the flea traps just wondered what my wise omlet friends thought?

Therefore, I am looking for as natural a way as possible to make sure that they don't come into contact with fleas if possible, they do go out but not very much especially at this time of year and they are always in at night.

Hi,

I found a flea in our bedroom, went into panic mode right away & bought almost every flea killing product on the market :roll:

We never saw one again, & think the spray stuff did the trick - we never got around to trying the flea trap we had purchased.

Despite Nemo having prescription Frontline, we still see an occasional live one on him. When I have finished with the Frontline we have I am changing over to a prescription tablet called Comfortis, which is very effective according to my vet.

Can I just say - Bob Martins pesticide free spray is just what it says - pesticide free - only way to kill fleas is with a flea spray with some pesticide in from vets best option as they will last for 12 months to keep fleas away once treated and i know its a pain to spray and leave door shut then open up and vent the room but ...... it works. Dont waste money on non pesticide ones as I have seen the results of them over and over again. Does not work.

Frontline - they may be getting immune to that one.

Frontline - they may be getting immune to that one.

Thats what my vet said, hence the change to Comfortis.

Nemo hates having the drops put on anyhow, & after a 12 day antibiotic course I am now pretty adept at getting a tablet down him :lol:

I have used Comfortis once before when he came home covered in Fleas (we think he had encountered a Hedgehog!), & it was quite amazing. Within a couple of minutes the visible fleas on him were writhing away & dropping off stone dead.

I was impressed!

One of our cats has a severe flea allergy. It affects her from about about May to August (have wondered if it is aggravated by pollen too). We use advocate on her but it doesn't really help to alleviate the problem.

I hope you get some advice regarding the electronic flea traps, I'd be interested to hear what people think.