hammy72

getting medicines into chicken

Anyone in the Whitchurch, Bristol area who can assist me with getting medicines into Chicken Snowflake tomorrow? Or if you know any chicken keepers who might be willing to help me. Its a 2 person job, one to hold her as I have to get a metal tube into her stomach to get the meds straight in. She is being treated for sour crop and peritonitis, and I am buying her extra time with the latter I think but it's important to me that she is not in pain and comfortable until next weeks vet appointment.

Edited by Guest

Thank you for your advice, its about 10ml of liquid to get into her so thats why I think the vet advised the feeding tube. I will look on youtube for the syringe method as I could do that on my own. Really appreciate you getting back to me. She's definitely brighter today and eating again.

I have used the syringe method for these conditions and associated meds, too. My tip is only to give her a little bit of medicine in each squirt (I give less than 1 ml) and aim it far back and above the tongue. Good luck. You know there are treatments for peritonitis (suprelorin, although not everyone on the site approves of it and it is expensive).