Roksteddie

What chickens to get?

We're going to be getting a Go Up or maybe even a Cube but we want to start with 3 hens. We're thinking we want 3 hybrids but want them to each be different. We're looking for good egg production but most importantly we want them to be friendly and easily tamed. Any tips on what kinds work well together or breeds you'd recommend?

It really depends what's available to you locally. The 2 types of hen that Omlet sell are very good. You could go for a Columbine for blue eggs or a White star (white eggs). Bluebells are very pretty. There's no guarantee how tame your girls will be, but the more time you spend with them, handling them and giving them treats, the easier they will be to handle.

Good luck :D

New chooks - how exciting :D

As far as I've learned, unless you're choosing for egg colour, if you want hybrids you may as well go on appearance, because as Chickabee says tameness seems to depend more on the individuals and your interactions with them than being based on breed.

If you have the funds and the space I would recommend a Cube rather than a Go. I have both, and although I really liked the Go, I felt it was quite full with my 4 bantams (and they are pretty small). I wouldn't really have wanted 3 full sized hybrids in there and there definitely wouldn't be any scope for adding to your flock without changing the house if you came down with a case of moorhens!

If you go for the Go Up (which I have and loooove), I would go for an extended run. Unless you could give them some free range time each day, I think the standard run would a tad small for three full sized hybrids.

I have four bantams, of which two are tiny (around 500 grams) and the other two are around 900 grams. This is the max amount of bird I think I could fit in the run, without them getting into scuffles. They get to free range a lot too.

Well we're thinking that we're going to go to Southmead Poultry and they have the following to pick from:

ISA Brown / Warren / Lohmann / Gingernut

Red Ranger

Bovan Nera / Mrs Pepperpot

Belle Blue/Haze

Speckledy

Sussex Hybrid

Sussex Reverse

White Ranger

Skyline

Would 3 of any of these be too cramped for the Go Up?

Think they are all full sized birds, so between 2 and 3 kg of chicken. If they are a calm and chilled lot, it doesn't have to be an issue, but it doesn't leave them with a whole lot of space.

I did add some roosting bars to the run, by just sticking a end of wood between the mesh of the run. Gives you a bit more space as you're using the height as well. But if you have the funds, I would do an extended run or go for a Cube.

Otherwise, go for some bantams as they are about half the size.

We would definitely be getting a 1m extension if we got the Up. The plan is to let them free range occasionally too. I assumed the actual coop was just for sleeping/laying really, but still want to make sure there's some room for them to manoeuvre comfortably. So is the general consensus that 3 would be pushing it? I thought Omlet have stated it could house up to 4 hens?

Well we're thinking that we're going to go to Southmead Poultry and they have the following to pick from:

Just to say we got our two ISA brown from Southmead Poultry and can't recommend them enough. Tracey was so helpful and full of advice for us, I know she recommended the ISA Browns for us for tameness, but all the girls there looked lovely! I want more already!

ISA Brown / Warren / Lohmann / Gingernut

Red Ranger

Bovan Nera / Mrs Pepperpot

Belle Blue/Haze

Speckledy

Sussex Hybrid

Sussex Reverse

White Ranger

Skyline

Would 3 of any of these be too cramped for the Go Up?

Consensus I have found from various people/websites/forums is the house is fine for 4 birds, the run is the limiting factor.

Make your run big enough and 4 hens should be ok in the Go house.

Run wise I have seen sources say they think 1m Squared per bird is enough and others that 2m Squared per bird is what you should allow. This may depend on how much free ranging they get to do if any.

I would recommend going for birds that lay different coloured eggs as you would like different hybirds. It has practical uses, there is no doubt when it comes to who is laying what and how often, which is useful for monitoring their general wellbeing.

Our three hybrids are in a Go Up with 2m run, no extension. They free range all day for 4-5 days per week, and get 3 hours free ranging on the other 2-3 days. All seem pretty happy with that, so I'd say three would be fine with a 3m run provided they get some free ranging each day, even if just for a bit to flap their wings and run about eating the slugs... :) Do it!