Roksteddie

Skittish skyline/columbine top hen

So I've had my new trio for a couple of weeks and though I was aware that skylines can be skittish, nervy and usually picked on, this is not the case with my 3. She quickly asserted her dominance over the brown ranger and maran cuivree. She is forever putting them in their place which is quite funny to watch since she is a little smaller than them. However, the tables turn when I come into the mix. The maran is by far the most confident and tame, the ranger is nowhere near as confident or tame as my last one, while the skyline is continually cowering in the background, going crazy if I go anywhere near her. So she's obviously not as tough as she'd have the other 2 believe!

That's interesting DM. What do you mean by dizzy? My favourite chicken, Matilda who is a skyline sometimes walks backwards and nods her head. I did think she might have something wrong with her, but I've given up on that as i think that is just her way. She is always in charge of anyone ill, I can see ill chickens earlier than normal as I use Matilda as my ill chicken guide.

Just that they are a bit flighty, nervy and inclined to be in a flap at the slightest provocation. I have some Blue Angels in my flock - white leghorn x Araucana; they are absolutely gorgeous, and lovely once they come into lay, but they had the longest introductions ever and I kept them in the run until they laid as I just couldn't trust them (despite clipped wings) not to end up next door :roll:

The perseverance was worth it though as they are now pretty biddable and lay sooper big, pale turquoise eggs. I always think that anything with araucana in the mix is a bit 'touched' :lol: I refer to them as dizzy kippers!

She hasn't started laying yet. Heard that they take a little longer to come into lay than other hybrids? The suspense is killing me as to what colour her eggs will be! Today Mariah (my skyline) decided to show me just how good she is at flying! The fencing that used to hold them in their pen was easily cleared by her and not long afterwards one of the others followed suit... sigh!