sarkymite

My baby is growing up!

So soon, so fast!

Little Amber Nancy has struggled to fit in with the flock as she's been terrified of the big girls and nothing has persuaded her to overcome that fear even when she saw her pal Nova bravely going for it. She fast developed a bond with humans though, coming running for nothing other than a hello, taking all opportunities to get in laps, loving a cwtch and babbling baby chook noises at us. She pretty much never left my side this weekend, "helping" me build a fence, weed the garden and all sorts of other jobs. As she's been so terrified of the big girls and as the big girls have been especially territorial over the Eglu,, ever since Nova got integrated enough to put herself to bed with the big girls, she's been sitting forelornely by herself in the WIR at dusk until I go down to put her to bed. When she's seen me coming down the garden she started making these little noises that sound like a performing seal and stood up ready to be picked up. I'd scoop her up in one arm and she'd rest her head on me and curl one foot around my finger, and I'd walk her round and pop her in to the Eglu through the egg port.

Tonight she's put herself to bed for the first time with the others, all by herself. I could hear quite a commotion going on in the Eglu so I took a look and the biggies were being pretty mean but both littlies were coping so I've left them to it. I feel a little pang of sadness though as I was coming to really love my dusktime cuddles with little Nancy! (white chicken)

Aw I had a similar experience with a young barnebar I introduced to my previous flock (there should have been a leghorn too but she died from a prolapse before I had chance to put them in together). They weren't very nice to her at all and I had to freerange them (when I really didn't want to) because otherwise they would get her in a corner of the run and she couldn't get away. She used to hop on my shoulder and look at me really lovingly and was such a gentle bird whereas my little marans bantam was an absolute EVIL madam!! :twisted: She finally integrated with them properly but she still remained my baby and so will your Nancy. :D