soapdragon

VAT Shocker

I have just ordered some uniform trousers and jumpers for ES second year at secondary school. They have to be specific ones with logo (yes, even the trousers and £15 something per pair!) direct from Trutex and I noticed on the e mail confirmation that they have charged me VAT.

I telephoned to query this as its always been my understanding that children's clothes are not subject to VAT. However, Trutex tell me that, if they are any size larger than small, then VAT applies. I am steaming mad! What is ANY school uniform, whatever the size, if its not children's clothing? Bad enough that we cannot buy 'off the peg' trousers from M and S or wherever but to add VAT............. :twisted::twisted::twisted::twisted:

Thanks for that; however, I still don't feel that this is an appropriate way of making the distinction. ES is only just 13 slim as a beanpole but very tall and broad shouldered so he has to have the larger sized jumpers whereas he has a friend with whom he catches the school bus who is 2 years older but half ES' size.

If there have to be criteria then age would be a fairer way of deciding. The law seems to say 1618 years as distinction between child/adult so it would be nice if there was some continuity and joined up thinking. :twisted:

I don't think they should charge VAT on school uniform at all, no matter what size or age.

Youngsters have to stay at school until they are 18 now don't they? So in that case they should be considered as "children" in terms of uniform and not charged - especially if you have to get the stuff from one supplier and can't shop around.

What a swizz.

Welcome to the "you've been done" club. My son had big feet - grew out of children's size when he was 11. Not long after that the rest of the clothes were bigger - length - he shot up and we had to buy adult but skinny sizes. That bugged me and now I've got something that cost me $26, their postage $28 and I have to pay customs duty (OK I can live with that £4 although it still bugs me a lot because they also add US postage costs in their charge for tax) not only that but a handling charge for £8! For what! A piddling little thing! Not only that - the allowance for buying stuff from the US is around £130!

Tax tax and more tax, and as children are taller than they used to be (except I'm still taller than DD) overall - plus everyone gets child allowance - not enough for the purchase of adult clothes for children!!! :evil:

Well at least it's all across the board. Not sure about the percentage, but 20% is a lot!

The boy went to visit my mum with the new girlfriend (lovely girl is the general verdict) and he changed a light bulb. I said I bet he didn't need a ladder - no, apparently just reached up a little! :lol:

On the other hand when I was around 23 years old my friend and I were so thin that we could wear age 10 jumpers. Pity my bottom was always big, even when skinny. I guess forking out for my childrens' clothes was just karma! :lol:

That's a cheek. I too fell foul of VAT on children's shoes a long time ago, having reached size 6 at around about the age of 10! My feet didn't stop growing until I was at least 13/14 either, stopping on the tipping point of 8s or 9s. (Fun...I hate shoe shopping, although the first step is very easy, 1) walk into shop see if they stock up to your size, 2) See if there's anything actually nice, 3) Try on, I rarely reach 4) Buy!).