Purplemaniacs

New border. What's your favourite plant?

I love aquilegia (grannies bonnets) too. And I’d always put loads of bulbs under everything to give early colour. Then maybe Japanese anemones for late flowers. And if there’s anything for them to climb up I love everlasting peas.

For more shrubby things depending on how much space you have there are some beautiful hydrangeas with sort of pyramidal white flowers.

Buddleia are lovely and the insects love them but they’ll take over if you don’t keep them in check. And although hebe are also loved by the bees I wouldn’t recommend them because it seems impossible to stop them being leggy.

Edited to add my favourites are snow drops and tulips. But ask me next week and I’ll probably say something different!

I love aquilegia (grannies bonnets) too.!

I was going to suggest these too as they are also one of my favourites :D

Sweet peas though are my most favourite.

I know antirrhinum are annuals but they are lovely and bees love them. They are also pretty good at seeding all over and sometimes the plants go from year to year.

Forget-me-nots are another of my favourites although again, not a perennial.

Pulmonaria are perennial and definitely a bee magnet :D

Penstemons - the old varieties like Garnet are quite hardy. I have some in flower - even now! - in the front garden. Good for bees, but not scented. Also still flowering (been in the garden nearly 4 years now and not stopped flowering at all - it should have a break - but it hasn't - is erysimum Bowles Mauve aka perennial wallflower. Again not scented but brilliant for bees and butterflies. Then perhaps a spirea - a good one to have would be varieties with coloured leaves or even two coloured flowers on the same plant - mine is white and pink. Of course it all depends on the soil. If it's acidic you could add blueberries - pretty bell flowers and yummy fruit!