Purplemaniacs

Drones

I wondered if any Omleteers knew what you can and can't do with a drone.

I live in a tiny village and today a group of men were seen flying a drone over the village. Apparently they were spying into all the gardens. They also followed a girl around her garden scaring her.

When tackled by two different lady villagers they became verbally aggressive, when the second ladies husband appeared one man was threatening to him and then they all drove off.

The village is now worried in case they were looking to see if there were properties for breaking into.

After events of a few years ago this has worried me.

Any thoughts or information would be great. OH thinks I am overreacting.

Chrissie

From a Daily Telegraph article from last year

your drone is under 20kg and you're not using it for commercial reasons, then you still have some rules to follow. Anyone filming with a drone for their own purposes must avoid flying it within 150 metres of a congested area and 50 metres of a person, vessel, vehicle or structure not under the control of the pilot.You will also need to fly the aircraft within sight. This means you can’t go above 400ft in altitude or further than 500 metres horizontally. If you want to exceed that, you’ll again need to seek explicit permission from the CAA.

Also apparently filming people and I would guess this extends to private propert apparently has implications for data protection.

I would definitely report it to the police, particularly given their attitude.

My son has just bought himself a drone for taking views on holidays that you can't get to by walking.

He needs to practise flying it so we go to the local playing fields.

He did try it in the garden but only flew it about 2 feet high and it stayed in one spot.

To be honest it sounded like a giant hornet buzzing so I told him to stop.

It came with a whole list of rules and regulations - which he has read - and will stick to.

It does sound like the men in your village were up to mischief especially if they were aggressive.

I think I would report them as the two ladies must have a good description of what they look like.

Definitely report it to the police. I think there needs to be more policing with drones. They're great for scenery filming but I don't think they should be allowed in inhabited areas.

Totally agree.

I spoke to hubby about what has happened on here and he said that what the men did was illegal and it should be reported.