Luvachicken

Recipe for a nice salad dressing please

I've been trying so hard to be good and have swapped crisps and a sandwich for a nice salad.

I have done this for 3 weeks now :-D

The trouble is, I then have salad cream because I don't like the bitter taste of the lettuce. 

I love salad cream.

I was wondering if any of you have any tasty salad dressing recipes that are healthy too so I can give up the salad cream ?

I sometimes mix a bit of fat free yoghurt with a teaspoon of mayonnaise and season with salt and pepper. If you like mustard, you can also use that instead of the mayonnaise.

Have you tried the clear salad dressings instead of the cream? They also have less fat, although more sugar.

By the way, if you add a diced egg or two and some salt and pepper to your salad and mix well, if also serves as a dressing. Same goes for avocado.

Maybe we have more lettuce options here in the Netherlands, becaus I don’t like the red or frizzy lettuce either, so I just buy the softer leaf kind, like cornsalad (or maybe it’s called lamb’s lettuce). That one also keeps longer in the fridge, because it is not cut but root left intact.

Edited by Cat tails

My salads mostly consist of other stuff and actually little lettuce. Tomato, cucumber, canned lentils, possibly avocado and then top up with a hand of lamb lettuce. But this is normally my dinner.

Most of the soft lettuces are not (or at least much less) bitter. Round lettuce (or butterhead?) is also a nice sweet lettuce, here sold in bags or as heads.

But it sounds like you might need to go and grow your own! :wink:

I don't like the taste of most lettuce, as you say it is bitter.  If I get any I usually buy Little Gem, as they keep well in the fridge and I only have a few leaves, but I'm just as happy to have a salad without the green stuff.  Give me a big plate of tomato, beetroot, celery, spring onion, cucumber etc and hold the grass.  And don't get me started on the way even a simple sandwich in a cafe is 'garnished' with a few bits of wilting greenery!

Home made coleslaw, dressed with yoghurt and mayonnaise, might be a good alternative - otherwise, I tend to buy the vinegar-and-oil type of dressing, rather than make it myself.

Coincidentally I bought some plum dipping sauce from M&S about a week ago and with this thread in mind I tried it on my salad at lunchtime. It was lovely. A bit sweet which counteracts the bitterness and quite gingery which does what it does. I thought it was a really nice salad dressing. M&S have a very nice range of bottled sauces based on Eastern recipes. Try the Ponzu, I especially like that.