AndyRoo

The Handmaid's Tale

Is anyone watching this series?

I'm nearly at the end of series 2, but I am absolutely gripped. I'm finding it slightly unnerving how much it is almost reflecting real life right now in terms of atmosphere - although the book is probably more reflective than the show!

I hope they do another series because I am waiting for something to snap!!

Ditto SeramaSilly. I read the book first and was just slightly disappointed by the series (nearly always the case though isn’t it?) but it was certainly very gripping and quite frightening. The book even more so but that’s perhaps because you’re on your own with your imagination when you’re reading a book.

• Like 1

On 14/07/2018 at 10:32 AM, SeramaSilly said:

I stopped watching at the end of series one Andy - I found it gripping but also very dark!! :-0  They covered the whole book in series one so now it's being script-written.

Yes, I know. Although I actually didn't read the book so my boyfriend was sat next to me whispering "Okay, so, in the book..." lol

He did tell me that there are some horrifying political similarities in the book that correspond to what we're seeing happen in real life right now, though. Apparently that's what made it unnerving for him.

• Haha 1

On 14/07/2018 at 11:37 AM, Grandmashazzie said:

I am watching Salamander. Liked first series but finding series 2 not as good. Also Hidden, nice to see Welsh language get an outing on mainstream.

I might give that one a go.

If you like gritty dramas, then there's a whole bunch I can recommend: Broadchurch, The Missing, The Loch, The Tunnel, The Fall, What Remains, Unforgotten, Happy Valley, Paranoid, London Spy, Fortitude. I've become quite addicted to them... not sure why. I suppose I have a morbid curiosity. lol

Ha me too. Just loved The Fall especially as it’s filmed here,around Belfast, spent half the time going, I know that street, look there’s The Reform Club etc. Found link to Netflix foreign thrillers I don’t have Netflix but most seem to be on Sky Box Sets. Have started Babylon Berlin.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, AndyRoo said:

I might give that one a go.

If you like gritty dramas, then there's a whole bunch I can recommend: Broadchurch, The Missing, The Loch, The Tunnel, The Fall, What Remains, Unforgotten, Happy Valley, Paranoid, London Spy, Fortitude. I've become quite addicted to them... not sure why. I suppose I have a morbid curiosity. lol

I LOVED the missing. It was by far my favourite thing I’ve watched for years - I was absolutely gripped. Even better there were a few of us at work watching it so we’d all come in after each episode and discuss our theories - it was just like being back at school!!

• Like 1

On 20/07/2018 at 1:06 PM, mullethunter said:

I LOVED the missing. It was by far my favourite thing I’ve watched for years - I was absolutely gripped. Even better there were a few of us at work watching it so we’d all come in after each episode and discuss our theories - it was just like being back at school!!

I thought the second series of The Missing was absolutely brilliant - I was guessing the whole way through what was (or wasn't) meant to be happening, and when the big reveal came round I was still completely wrong. lol

If you like The Missing, definitely give The Tunnel a go. Clémency Poséy is absolutely *brilliant* in her role.

On 20/07/2018 at 2:02 PM, Cat tails said:

The missing is a favourite with me too! Together with Happy Valley and Broadchurch.

The Frankenstein Chronicles is also very good. And something completely different but still very good: Altered Carbon

I LOVED Altered Carbon. But I have a 'thing' for the lead actor in it, so that probably helped. lol I thought he was very good in the English language version of The Killing too.

On 25/07/2018 at 12:56 PM, Alis girls said:

Son is doing this book for A Level

Wow. That must be a bit more interesting than the stuff we did at school.

I remember I had to do A Midsummer Night's Dream, The Lord of The Flies, Of Mice and Men, and Jane Eyre. I'm afraid all of them bored me to tears!

Still, in 15-20 years time I dare say the classics for GCSE children will be things like Harry Potter and The Hunger Games etc. - although the latter books do have some very compelling social themes. In fact if things keep going as they are, we may have to re-file them from Fiction to Encyclopaedia. lol