Emily30102

I think my chicken is dying, how can I make her comfortable?

I have been trying to treat one of my girls for impacted crop for a few days now. I came back from holiday to find her extreamly skinny with a large hard crop which doesn’t empty. I have massaged it every day but she has really slowed down. She’s in a box with a towel in my house and I think she’s dying! I’m only 16 so I can’t take her to the vet and I can’t put her to sleep myself. Sometimes she stands up and although she is quiet she’s very alert of sounds  which makes me wonder if I can still save her. I don’t know how old she is as we saved her from a road about a year ago however I think she’s pretty old as she’s never laid an egg. When I’ve massaged her crop she often has a poo which is green and runny, I’m not sure if this is a good sign or bad. Any advice would be greatly appreciated, I love her to bits and it’s really upsetting me seeing her like this. I’m missing work to be with her, I just want her to die in peace while I’m with her in the house ☹️Xx

The most important thing is to give her water Emily and no food. She may not want to drink on her own so you will need a syringe or dropper. Wrap her in a towel to stop the wing flapping, open her beak carefully so as not to strain the lower and grip the upper firmly with two fingers. Then give her a few mL at a time, giving her time to swallow. You will be aiming to give her 10mL five times a day, if she has room in her crop. Keep up the gentle crop massaging. Green poo can be the sign of internal infection, but also a sign of extreme discomfort or a result of eating vegetation. A good sign is if she is passing solids and not just water. This means she hasn't got an impacted digestive system, just one in the crop which you should be able to break up and shift through. Good luck and well done for trying; hope she is OK.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much for your advice. I made the really hard decision with my mum to have someone come and despatch her, she’s really deteriorated since I wrote the post and her cone is completely grey. I took her to her friends to say bye and now she’s sitting on my knee for a bit. I hope I’ve made the right decision, I want what’s best for her as she is a much loved family pet. I will miss her loads but at least she will be with our other chickens who have crossed the rainbow bridge xxxx

Courage Emily, you have courage.  It sounds to me as though you are doing the right thing for her, often when the comb goes blue/grey it indicates a heart problem, and given her other problems, then frankly ending her suffering is the best and lasting gift you can give her.  You are young to have to face this, well done on taking the responsibility, and many of us will be thinking of you and going through it with you.

• Thanks 1

Thank you it means so much! This group has been the best advice I’ve got, I appreciate it so much. I don’t want Matilda to be unhappy in any way, it makes me happy to know she’s had a good life and we have plenty of pictures to remember her by xxx

I’m sorry for your loss. I agree it’s really horrible. It’s the worse decision I’ve ever had to make but I can’t bare to see her the way she was. She will me missed greatly by my family and the other girls but her legacy will live on with all the dust baths she made this summer :) xx

D6C109CF-AE58-43C7-AB5D-A6952F286682.png

Emily I just want to echo what everyone else has said. What a kind, caring, brave young lady you are and how lucky Matilda has been to have you as an owner. You made the right decisions and have done exactly what I would have done. Having a pet put to sleep never gets any easier but that’s how you know you care. Well done and enjoy the rest of the summer with the other girls.

• Thanks 1

Thank you so much. The supports been overwhelming and I’m so greatfull! It’s been a really hard day, usualy the girls die of old age in their coop I’ve never had to have one put to sleep before but I didn’t want her to suffer and she got the respect she deserved. I hope she knew how loved she was, she was an amazing chicken with a big heart, she took the role of mother hen in the flock so I’m sure she will be very missed by the others too. Thanks so much for the help and support. I’m so glad I joined this group it’s really helped with today ❤️❤️Xxxx

• Like 2