Sarah Gee

To straw or not to straw!!!!

Good morning all

i am new to keeping chickens and have been doing lots of research before my girls arrive from the BWHT in September.

im starting to get a better t paranoid, and obsessed, by the debate of what is n st to put in my nesting boxes and floor of the coop!  

I really don’t want to give my girls red mite and have been reading that straw is a no no and I should go for hemp or some other alternative.

would love some solid advice from someone who isn’t trying to sell me a product!! 

Ihave read the wonders of diacomtraceus (probably spelt in correctly!) so will be getting they to spray around the coop and also in the nest boxes!  

Please help! 

No to straw! Neither in the run or nest box.

I know it can all be rather confusing, but I really trust the advice of the peeps on this forum. Most here use some kind of chick or horse bedding in the nest box. I prefer wood chips. Don’t fall in the wood shavings trap. Especially in winter it will mould easily. 

For the run it’s mostly horse bedding if you have completely dry run of (hard)wood chips. My lot is on bare earth, with a part of the run on paving stones, which works very well for me. But I have a well draining garden, so no risk of mud.

All options have there own pros and cons and it’s very dependent on your set up what will work best for you. Do keep asking questions! This lot here is always happy to help out!

Thank you for your help tip! It is well secured with double wood on either side and Perspex at the bottom on the week points.  Going to test it soon by putting something in their that my foxy Might like to see what she does!!! That’s before my girls come in September!  

Yhink i I will go for horse bedding which is hemp and also states good for chickens.  In box nest boxes and on the floor.

thank you

No to straw and hay - apart from the mite and dust issue, the daft beggars will eat it and end up witn impacted crops. I use Aubiose (hemp bedding) in the housing, nest box and run - it dries out droppings and composts wonderfully.

I would also recommend that you use weldmesh on the run panels rather than chicken wire.... foxes, rats and badgers can all bite through the latter easily and perspex panels won't stop them I'm afraid.