Janty

Cochins / Brahmas in a cube? I need some advice please.

I've got my cochins in an eglu. They are only 13 weeks at the moment, I already have a big chicken (similar to a buff orpington), but I have bought another eglu so I have 2 girls in each eglu - plenty of room.

You shouldnt have any problem with the cube - loads of room - if your girls are young and still growing they should learn to use the ladder to the cube without problems.

I would only worry with the cube if you had an already large, mature, big hen who is not used to going up ladders to roost. Thats why I didnt get a cube as my big Ella would probably struggle with the ladder.

Yes we have 4 Brahmas in our cube :D (not forgetting he other 3)

They have no problem getting in and out - two of them go up and down the ladder step by step and the other two just jump /fly it instead.

While the Brahmas won't be fully grown until 18mths - I reckon I could still get another two in the cube too - I had my eye on a Black Frizzle when I picked the others up :roll:

Helen

Cochins are fine in the Cube.

They are, however, much too big for the Eglu, which is not suitable for any of the large breeds.

Having said this, I had my Cochin in the Eglu for a year, and she certainly kept the other three warm at night. But I never felt happy about it. (She was a mistake: I told my son not to buy me a large breed, as the Eglu wasn't big enough, so of course being male....)

Mrs Cochin fits much better in the Cube. As I expect you know, Cochins are extremely lazy and if they aren't made to take exercise they are prone to heart problems later in life, so it is good for them to be made to jump up and down the ladder. Mine likes several naps a day, so is always up and down.

I have big girls - Orpingtons, Buff Sussex and a North Holland Blue (and a Maran). The Orps are as big as Cochins, and they manage the Cube no probs.

They all live in a Cube.

My worry was that they wouldn't manage the ladder so I have made them a long ramp with bits of wood across it - so that they can walk up and down into the Cube. And they manage fine.

Cochins can be lazy hens so the excersise of getting up and down to the Cube will do them good! But they are really lovely.

I think the big hens are superb.

Do post some piccies

Mine likes several naps a day, so is always up and down.

Chickens nap? :shock:

My GNR GNR must be missing out! They never take a break from trashing the garden. :roll:

Mine have loads of little naps - its lovely. They doodle around, pecking and scratching - and aggravating at each other. then they all sit down together in a big huddle to have a snooze!

Cochins can be lazy hens so the excersise of getting up and down to the Cube will do them good! But they are really lovely.

I think the big hens are superb.

I agree ! :) My cochins are gorgeous, and at the moment they dont seem lazy at all (maybe its a later life thing?!)....they free range all day and dont go in the eglu at all by day. :think:

Mine do just fine in the eglu. I think the eglu is fine for cochins (IMO). The cube is too expensive for me and I already have had two 15month old large hens in my original eglu which I got last year and they are doing just fine and my cochins are in the new eglu all to themselves. :)

:D I now have my girls - 1 splash cochin, 1 blue cochin, 2 partridge brahmas and 2 hybrids in the cube. All happy to use the ladder. I have had to order a ex display eglu for my pekin as the cochins sat on her and pulled her feathers out. :(

However, Popcorn, the pekin is doing well and her friends arrive this Saturday to keep her company. At the moment she lives in a rabbit run during the day and sleeps in a straw lined cat basket in the conservatory at night. She has also taken a liking to evening television and falling asleep on my shoulder. You can imagine the comments from my husband.

Thanks for all the advice.

Janty

:D I now have my girls - 1 splash cochin, 1 blue cochin, 2 partridge brahmas and 2 hybrids in the cube. All happy to use the ladder. I have had to order a ex display eglu for my pekin as the cochins sat on her and pulled her feathers out. :(

Janty

they sound lovely - please post some photos. I have two splash Orps and a blue Orp and I think they are lovely; I'd really love to see cochins in those colour schemes.

I'm sure you could introduce your pekin later if you keep her separate but together if you see what I mean (so that they can see each other) and then let them run together for a gradually increasing time. I had loads of trouble when mine first came (with Georgie) but its all sorted itself out by judicious separation and supervised introductions! I didn't get them together until the youngsters were 17 weeks (Evil Georgie is 4yrs old).

However, Georgie still sleeps in a separate coop (her little one bedroom, home made, studio!) and won't kip in the dorm (cube) with the youngsters! And I keep my old Eglu in case I need a separate bedroom and run for any reason.

By the way, Liz my Maran pulled feathers out of the others so I fitted her with a nose ring antipecking thingy and it stopped her.

I will post pictures of Lauren and the Spice Girls once I have figured out how to ... half term job I feel. My partridge brahmas are only 15 weeks old and look like terrorhawks. They scare the living daylights out of our cat.

By the way, I have found a new sport to encourafe my girls to exercise...chicken rugby. Can't be played too often as itinvolves throwing a grape down the garden. The terrorhawks (AKA posh & baby) charge down the garden after it followed by the brahmas who then chase around after the hen who picks it up. Very entertaining to watch.