AyeAyeMagpie

No eggs for a couple of weeks - normal?

I've only had my chickens since the beginning of September and of the 6 only two were laying but now they've stopped. We've not had any eggs for a couple of weeks even though they were laying well before. Also, the other 4 chickens are mature enough to start laying now. Is it just because of the time of year? Have your chickens stopped laying for the year now? 

How old were they when you got them?

I general rule is that if they were hatched before the longest day, then they will come into lay and moult (just a gentle one) that Autumn, but if they were hatched after 21/06, then they may come into lay before the winter, but are unlikely to moult. If they hatched in August, then they may well not lay until the new year - it all depends on the shorter daylight hours.

3 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

How old were they when you got them?

I general rule is that if they were hatched before the longest day, then they will come into lay and moult (just a gentle one) that Autumn, but if they were hatched after 21/06, then they may come into lay before the winter, but are unlikely to moult. If they hatched in August, then they may well not lay until the new year - it all depends on the shorter daylight hours.

I'm not sure of their precise age. They were sold as POL and estimated at being a few weeks off laying, and that was 31st August. They've visibly grown and matured since we've had them and most showing the squat behaviour that's associated with laying hens. 

From my limited knowledge (mainly gained from books and talking to people) laying depends on Breed, Age and time of year.  2 of mine are laying well at the moment.  3 of them won't start laying until spring now as they were born too late in the year and 2 of them will most likely always stop laying over the winter months.
my conclusion is I will just have to get more hens :D

On 22/10/2018 at 10:38 AM, Chick Chick said:

From my limited knowledge (mainly gained from books and talking to people) laying depends on Breed, Age and time of year.  2 of mine are laying well at the moment.  3 of them won't start laying until spring now as they were born too late in the year and 2 of them will most likely always stop laying over the winter months.
my conclusion is I will just have to get more hens :D

Ha ha! I like your conclusion! My eldest daughter has suggested the same thing. 

• Like 2

31 minutes ago, AyeAyeMagpie said:

We've got a nice dynamic in the coop right now, they've settled in together well. I wouldn't want to risk messing that up. 

Weirdly, one of the Silkies has been acting broody the last 2 days yet she's never laid an egg before. Silly bird.

That made me smile. Chickens are the funniest things aren't they?! Such daft, lovely things. 

Of course!  If all happy no point. My flock had reduced and I could see being so small made my girls edgy so we added more.  They have formed a lovely flock now, although the 3 legbars are still so close whilst friends with others too. Love how they have favourite friends too!