Luvachicken

Winter advice for older chickens please.

Gemma is my oldest girlie and is looking a bit pale at the moment because she is moulting.

She has been a bit quiet today, but then most of them have as there has been a cold wind.

I usually cover the lower 10'' of the cube run with bubble wrap to stop the wind blowing in but just wondered if there is anything else I should do for my 6 year old.

They have tonic in their water and sleep with the cube door open.

Do you think I should close the door now it has suddenly got cold ? 

I've never had an old girl to look after before.

On 27/10/2018 at 8:09 PM, Luvachicken said:

Gemma is my oldest girlie and is looking a bit pale at the moment because she is moulting.

She has been a bit quiet today, but then most of them have as there has been a cold wind.

I usually cover the lower 10'' of the cube run with bubble wrap to stop the wind blowing in but just wondered if there is anything else I should do for my 6 year old.

They have tonic in their water and sleep with the cube door open.

Do you think I should close the door now it has suddenly got cold ? 

I've never had an old girl to look after before.

Love the bubble wrap idea!

Squirt is also sulking big time - it is quite breezy here and I have thought she is blind several times - this evening she swiped a grape from Tufty, so I guess it's selective - if she sees food she doesn't want she ignores it.  But while I have put plastic shelters around the run, there are gaps for the air to flow.  She flies down in the morning and walks up the ramp in the evening, so while it looks like she's at death's door (which she's done many a time) she does perk up in the sun.

I have been putting a snuggle safe in at night when we've had the frosts though.  With 2 in the cube I was worried about not enough warmth in there.  I might pop them in the eglu instead at some stage until others arrive.

One of my oldies is blind and struggling with the cube ladder in the evening so I’ve got the old eglu classic out again and put it in their enclosure in case she’d prefer that.  But no, she’s still struggling into the cube.  But at least she now has a choice.  I’ve noticed that the oldies are going to bed earlier and earlier these days as well.   

19 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Best stop that - they'll get too hot and be like lice magnets. They need to roost properly with the air circulating around them.

I've never thought of that :roll:

18 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

If you have the cube mark 1, then the smallest tub trug fits neatly into the round hole between the roosting area and nest box.

I can never remember which cube I have :oops:

Mine is lilac and was bought almost 10 years ago.