redhotchick

Christmas Eve Boxes

5 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

This sounds nice. I might start this. https://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/holidays-christmas/cozy-icelandic-christmas-tradition-youll-want-to-steal.htm can't seem to figure the link thing. Basically Christmas Eve in Iceland is a hearty meal and exchange gifts of books to settle down with

I agree PL that does sound like a lovely tradition.

A bit late to this topic, I guessed it was an American gimmick although I appreciate it is also European tradition to open gifts on Christmas  Eve. I think the box is extra presents as there is also Christmas Day presents. We won’t be doing that, it’s enough work with that silly elf on the shelf malarkey ( also American???) As to paper in stockings, a few years ago we bought our ones a type of fair isle stockings. They are a nightmare to pack and unpack with strands of wool everywhere. 

I did it! I quickly ordered an appropriate book for each of my important people here, I made a big pasta bake in a casserole because they're all shift workers and that's easy. The kids managed to meet up in a pub for an hour after all their shifts finished and then popped round for the bake, a log fire and the book gifts. We all agreed it was incredibly cosy. Thank you so much for this thread, it was a great evening. 

11 hours ago, patsylabrador said:

I did it! I quickly ordered an appropriate book for each of my important people here, I made a big pasta bake in a casserole because they're all shift workers and that's easy. The kids managed to meet up in a pub for an hour after all their shifts finished and then popped round for the bake, a log fire and the book gifts. We all agreed it was incredibly cosy. Thank you so much for this thread, it was a great evening. 

I'm so glad you got inspiration from this and had a lovely evening. Memories are made this way, and traditions! x x

My update is that I had an enforced rest, snuggled up under a blanket at home, after spending the morning in A&E! An asthma attack, I got steroids and antibiotics. I did phone my GP, who told me to go to hospital. My peak flow test was very poor though.

Made it through Christmas day, didn't have to do much as OH does most of the cooking. I've been to bed, but got up again as still coughing a lot. 

• Like 2