redhotchick

Christmas Eve Boxes

I’ll preface this by saying that I don’t have children. 

I’m afraid i don’t get the whole Christmas Eve box thing. I mean yeah everyone likes presents but surely it’s just another marketing ploy to get people to buy even more stuff at Christmas than they already do?

For me Christmas Eve is wrapping presents with a mince pie or two and a glass of sherry. And for the little ones, hanging up their stockings and leaving a mince pie, a carrot and a glass of sherry out for the big man.

I do have children - admittedly older than little ones - but have never done this and wouldn't even start if they were smaller.

When we were little, the closest thing we got to a Christmas Eve box was being able to choose a present from under the tree to take to bed with us, so we could open it in the morning. I love that little memory.

• Like 1

Too busy wrapping presents, peeling sprouts, stuffing turkey to bother with any more ruddy boxes!  Going to DD this Christmas after 50 or so years of doing Christmas BUT still doing turkey as her oven is dodgy.  She says... Then on Christmas Day transporting said bird in a car complete with one German Shepherd!  I’ll keep you posted. 

• Haha 3

I was speaking to someone last week who says they do Christmas Eve boxes instead of Christmas morning stockings; I know which I'd prefer! Quite frankly it's hard enough getting the little darlings to bed anyway on 24th without adding any more excitement to the mix! We always choose a Christmassy family DVD/film to watch after supper on 24th then vainly attempt to get them tucked up as early as possible so that we can bring their presents downstairs. I wonder if this is another American 'import'? I've only heard about Christmas Eve boxes for the last couple of years?

The only time I made boxes was for a charity being run by the school - it consisted of something warm, but toothbrushes and toothpaste and the things we take for granted here (or the luckier people) like pencils, toilet paper and I remember sending one of those magic flannels with a cartoon character, and a small bar of chocolate.  My lot got stockings which they opened at stupid o'clock and then they had to wait till after dinner for their other presents.  They may have been allowed to open one more if they were good or a grandparent begged for mercy.

Edited to add - my lot always had toothbrushes in their stockings and a book which we hoped would keep them quiet until we got up - I never understood why that one never worked!

Edited by Valkyrie
Missed a bit!
  • Like 1

🤣 - my mum always intercepted any goodies, but strangely the apple, satsuma, navel orange and the nuts were allowed - yes nuts, but I had to crack them open and that's what daddies were for!  

One year I woke up yelling there were rats in the house - it was my younger brother ripping the paper off his presents.  Mum in all her wisdom had placed his goodies under the stairs to my bedroom (open plan and room in the loft) so I had no way of cutting out any sound.  When he got to the Action Man we then had a war zone.  He is a lot younger than me.  So I was right - it was a little 2 legged rat!  

Dad is German and we sometimes did present opening on the 24th, even though we live in the UK. We weren’t allowed to open the ‘big’ present until Christmas morning though ;0) 

we then had to wait until after Christmas lunch to open the presents ynder the tree from friends and relatives...that lunch really dragged when I was little! 😂

Yup, you are allowed Christian!:lol: Very different traditions when families hail from elsewhere.  OH's sister always opened her presents on Christmas Eve - because she was so impatient that it was easier to let her do that.  I hasten to add that was after she'd left home!  I'm still wrapping things up then!!!!

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, soapdragon said:

Apparently the Royal Family open their gifts on Christmas Eve so it's clearly perfectly acceptable!

At least then there would be time to see all of the presents instead of having to keep popping out to the kitchen.

Presents on Christmas Eve and Christmas Dinner on Christmas day could be so much more relaxing.

1 hour ago, soapdragon said:

Apparently the Royal Family open their gifts on Christmas Eve so it's clearly perfectly acceptable!

There’s a difference between opening your Christmas presents on Christmas Eve and having a whole other set of presents on Christmas Eve on top of your Christmas presents though isn’t there?!

Sorry Redhotchick - I don’t think you really deserve all this 😂 I love the idea of spending Christmas Eve evening together, possibly even in matching pyjamas, for me starting a tradition of extra presents is probably an expensive and unnecessary thing. But if you do decide to do it I hope it’s lovely 😊🎄

😁😆🤣 Gosh, I started quite a thing here!  In the interests of full disclosure. I do not have children. No one is going to make a Christmas eve box for me (OH is lovely, but surprising me with presents is not something I'd anticipate him doing!)

I know someone who goes completely overboard at Christmas with presents for their children. It is obscene  and I don't say that flippantly, and yes, same person has been doing Christmas eve boxes for years! 

I'm wanting to put a few treats together for myself on Christmas eve. It will just be me and my OH, and he's not one for staying up late. So I'm thinking, cosy pyjamas, scented candle, face mask, hand cream, book and/or relaxing Christmas music, some nibbles and a drink. 

it's not really a box, and it won't be a surprise!

The best thing I could do to make Christmas special is spend some time with my dad and have an early night. 

I remember having new pyjamas for Christmas eve as a child, but I'm sure that was my mum's way of encouraging us to get ready for bed! Also new clothes for Christmas day. As an adult I can remember opening a present at midnight in my mum's kitchen.  Happy times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I think your plan sounds just right.  :grin::dance: Nice and relaxing and how it should be - those with children will probably be a little envious!

Tip for children's stockings - use layers of old wrapping with plenty of sellotape - keeps them amused for ages because it's hard to get at the contents until they found a little corner and then they have to work at it!  Just like pass the parcel and it fills the stocking!

Sorry, didn't realise it was a 'grown up' thing!

I love the smell and feel of clean sheets so I will, if time allows, change the bedding on Christmas Eve morning so it's all snuggly and fresh! If I were making up a box for me then I'd go for a mini bottle of fizz, something small (but not TOO small) from Lindor, a few minis from L'Occitane, scented candle, nice, feel good DVD/ or lovely relaxing classical music// new book (can't beat the feel of a brand new novel), and some lavender oil! Enjoy!

• Like 1

20 hours ago, redhotchick said:

I'm wanting to put a few treats together for myself on Christmas eve

Aah...OK. That changes it. In that case I’d say YES!!! That’s a brilliant idea! I love the cosy anticipation of Christmas Eve and I guess my little traditions of a glass of sherry and a mince pie whilst wrapping aren’t that different to what you suggest. Adding book / music / pampering to that sounds great. Hope you do it and enjoy xx

• Like 2

Clean sheets is a must on Christmas Eve, thanks for that reminder.

Great idea for children's stocking, to keep them occupied.  

I have a new little book, it's about daily habits for wellbeing. It was a present, I'm looking forward to implementing some ideas!

Whatever I do it I will be chilling out! 

As a parent, I always find that the real  challenge on Christmas Eve is to place stockings into children's rooms without falling over anything in the mess and pitch black. OH said that his lack of belief in FC was finally confirmed when he was woken one Christmas Eve by a loud noise, turned on the bedside light and found his Dad sprawled on the floor clutching a filled stocking having taken a tumble in the detritus that litters the floor of most early teenage rooms (TBH, surprised it lasted that long!) Ahhh, the magic of Christmas! 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This sounds nice. I might start this. https://people.howstuffworks.com/culture-traditions/holidays-christmas/cozy-icelandic-christmas-tradition-youll-want-to-steal.htm can't seem to figure the link thing. Basically Christmas Eve in Iceland is a hearty meal and exchange gifts of books to settle down with. I like the sound of that.