AyeAyeMagpie

Learning to relax when they free range

My 6 chickens have a lovely big covered run which they spend most of their time in and then we let them free range for an hour or so when we're actively out in the garden with them. Over the Christmas holiday I've been able to let them free range more because I've been working on the garden and that has led me to relax off a bit. Now I'm letting them free range while I'm in the house and I look out the window frequently. I don't think I'll ever leave them to free range when I'm away from the house at work etc but I am beginning to relax off a bit. 

Was/is anyone else a bit anxious about their chickens free ranging as a new keeper? I'm hoping I will relax more. Our garden is a good size and secure with a 6ft fence all the way round but I'm still worried about my Cream Legbar flying out, even though I've clipped her wing.

You need to keep an eye on them if they are out as foxes will visit night and day.   We have new girls atm so they are in the run for a while longer but our old girls used to free range all day but I had toddlers so the back door was always open and I was out side or watching from the kitchen window.  We lost all our girls to the fox one night but it was hubby’s fault as he left the run door open. 

For a couple of years, while we didn’t have chickens, we had a very bold fox who would sit and look in the patio door.  It had no fear of people.  A neighbour had fed it from a cub.  Neighbour and fox have both moved on but i’m much more wary

Edited by ajm200
Typo due to rubbish eyesight

I have a similar set up. My girls have a reasonable sized run and only free range in the garden when we’re home. At first I always had a window open if I was indoors so I could hear them. But now I will have a shower (although I always worry and keep looking out of the window) or do the hoovering when they’re out and so far so good. I’m not worried about them escaping although they could if they put their minds to it, but I am always aware that it only takes a few seconds for a Fox or a dog to get in from the footpath adjacent to the garden and take or kill them. As always with free ranging it is a bit of a balancing act, but I’ll never let them stay out when neither my partner nor I are home.