ajm200

Amazed at how fast our Bantams have settled!

After keeping several mini flocks of hybrids, I was expecting the first week with Bantams to be similar.  We are used to physically putting the hybrids into the cube every night for the first week and having a long battle to keep them out of the nest box overnight.  Also used to having to tame them gradually with them move away and watching us from a distance when we approached the run at first.  

The Bantams have been so different.  They had to put to bed last night but it was their  proper first night in the coop and they were used to sleeping at floor level. Tonight they put themselves straight to bed.

The hybrids took a while to tame but the Bantams worked out that we mean food today.  They are ‘helping’ with everything I try to do.  I’ve had to push them out of the way to access the feeder and water as they are being nosey.  They have even eaten out of my hands.

They do stick very close together but I don’t know if that is anxiety or just Bantam behaviour. They are always within inches of each other.  Made for funny viewing when they were trying to climb the ladder as they were knocking each other off in their attempts to stick together and not go first. 

They’ve even stayed out of the nesting box after being dumped back onto the bars last night.  

They’ve eaten tidily too.  Not had pellets flung everywhere so far.

Rather impressed with the little ones so far.

Edited by ajm200
Typo

Having now hatched Pekins, Wyandottes and campines (well, had campines from day old) and kept those plus araucanas, Dutch bantams and a sablepoot from growers, I have come to the conclusion that Pekins just are a breed that seem to like, it at the very least, tolerate and have little fear of, people. 

Lots of first day pics in the new arrivals thread.  Vision is never good at this time of night but will try to post a link.

They seem much friendlier and more easy going than any of the hybrids we’ve had. We got them as hubby has banned large birds after losing the lawn within weeks of getting each lot of hybrids.  If the last 48 hours is normal Pekin behaviour, I wouldn’t go back to large breeds as pets and happy not to be overrun with eggs too. Think they’d be great for a reluctant first timer. 

Apologies for any typos,  Siri isn’t a great audio typist and my attempts to edit make matters worse 😊