Natspringy

Poorly chook, no idea why!

Hello lovely lot,

I'm hoping some of you clever chicken experts might have some idea what's going on with my baby. My favourite chook has suddenly gone hunched tail and lying around. She's not fully given up eating and drinking and is still semi interested in her flock. But the tail hunch is definitely there and she cuddled on my lap for a good few hours earlier looking sorry for herself. Took her to the vets to check not egg bound or heart (been there before) or lungs. Only thing was slightly mucky bum altho she does seem a bit lazy with her bum in general. So she's on antibiotics and wormer and fingers crossed but anything else I can do? Letting her go with the gang to sleep but own run in the day so she gets her meds and doesnt get picked on.....

So hoping it's just chickenitis, this one is a very special cuddly little one, hand reared too. Any tips or suggestions gladly welcomed!

Thanks guys. 

Edited by Natspringy

Do you have any nutridrops you can give her?  They work wonders for hens that are out of sorts.  Not a cure all but help if they are a bit lack lustre and off their food.   Hope she’s soon feeling better

Edited by ajm200
  • Like 1

13 minutes ago, Natspringy said:

Yes I might try that.i always worry I'll do it wrong which is why I hadn't. Any tips? Do I just put in her beak?

Thanks for your help.

Ah, just found a video by the Dogmother. I've been doing it right. Will do tomorrow. Thank you.

• Like 1

Well I don't believe it! She's back to normal! Never had that happen before. So relieved. 😊

Have just left her be this am but added some tonic to the water. Wondering if I should still give the anti biotic just in case? I wouldn't with my daughter but then are chickens different?! She has a mucky bum still which is why the vet gave the antibiotic. In fact the other two legbars do as well so I'm contemplating just giving it to all of them? What do you guys think?

Thanks everyone:)

I would give her the antibiotics.  Antibiotic is a course and with humans the whole course should be taken to ensure the infection is gone.  Dr told me once that only taking part of the course risks the infections becoming resistant to antibiotic.  I assume the same applies with animals/poultry 

Give them a bath to clean their bottoms and see iif it comes back.  

We used to give ours scrambled egg with the oil from tinned fish mixed in to help ifd they went through a heavy moult and were bald for a long time.    We had an egg eater as one of ours took to laying soft shells for a while.   We had problems stopping her. In the end we injected Tabasco into a soft egg and left it for her.  That worked

• Haha 1