sarkymite

Best housing for serama?

Hullo all

I've been absent for a while again. In that time my flock has changed from 6 to 5 to 8 hens and most recently, we indulged a very longstanding dream of mine and brought home 4 seramas- 3 girls and the most adorable cheeky little roo. So erm... I'm on 14 birds now... 🤣

What I'm quickly discovering is that nothing seems "good enough" to house the seramas. The plan had been to modify the eglu classic with addition of a fine mesh over the galvanised wire run, a single roosting bar inside and removal of the floor roosting bars. But it just doesn't seem like it would work. I want their coop to be higher up so I can see them and interact more easily, and I also want to be able to catch them - I can't commando crawl into the classic run to do that every time!

So at the moment they're in a Ferplast happy farm something or other which I got v cheap 3rd hand and it's inside as it's obviously not fox proof. They have plenty of room and also go out in a home made run when I can supervise, which is every day but not always for very long. But my OH, who doesnt share my passion, is getting keen to reclaim the dining room, so I need to make housing decisions. 

What have people found worked best for them with itty bitty seramas? Looking forward to hearing your collective wisdom! 

Hello there,

I have seramas.  Personally I don't think the style of house matters but to me a walk-in run has been essential because mine have never put themselves to bed so I have to physically lock them up every-night and crawling into a run would have been very tiresome!! :-0  They will appreciate lots of perches high and low and I bought mine a little plastic trug for their dust-bath.  

Enjoy your seramas - they are very addictive!! :-)

Thank you SeramaSilly. Ive already twigged their enjoyment of perches!! I'm torn between trying a standard size coop and run and hoping they do go to bed without assistance, and buying a 6x3 walk in run and then modding it to add my own coop set up inside it. The trouble is then I won't be able to move it around whereas if they had a more classic set up, they could be on fresh grass rather than in the poultry yard (which is devoid of anything remotely green these days 🙄 )

21 minutes ago, SeramaSilly said:

to me a walk-in run has been essential because mine have never put themselves to bed so I have to physically lock them up every-night and crawling into a run would have been very tiresome!! :-0  They will appreciate lots of perches high and low and I bought mine a little plastic trug for their dust-bath.