AyeAyeMagpie

Prolapse and vent gleet

So, I've only just recently posted about Myrtle's impacted crop and now I've just had to deal with cleaning up Rosie's prolapsed vent and also treat her for vent gleet!

Rosie is my other Marans. I've just finished successfully treating her for lice and noticed she had a mucky bum today, which on closer inspection revealed a prolapse, an empty egg shell hanging out of her vent and a very sudden case of vent gleet all over her back end. I was so shocked, not least because I'd only checked her over a couple of days ago when I last sprayed with the lice treatment.

I immediately gave her a good soak in warm water and cleaned everything with mild dog shampoo (it's what I had to hand). I removed the shell. It came out in one piece. We've been having a problem with her laying massive, soft/thin shelled eggs for a while. Then I washed and rinsed again. The prolapse was fairly contained and went back in by itself. 

Poor Rosie is now in isolation in a dog crate, with a very raw looking bare bum. We've picked up some caneston cream to apply to the area and will also spray with disinfectant. 

I'm a bit stunned to be honest. Strangely enough, after everything we're going through with Myrtle I decided to look up all sorts of chicken ailments on the internet last night so that I could be prepared in case anything else happened. So glad I watched a video on prolapses, else I would have been utterly unprepared. 

Rosie is perfectly happy in and of herself. She loved being dried with the hair dryer - didn't even have to hold her. And she is happily eating and drinking in the crate. I've added ACV to her water, which they've all had since Myrtle's crop troubles started.

Anyone else had experience of this? Anything you'd recommend?

I feel like I'm suddenly right in at the deep end with chicken keeping now!

Golly, you have been through it and although difficult, an excellent way to learn.

I've only had one girl a long time ago whose lady bits fell out.

It was all very dirty from poop and I took her straight to the vet who said that even if he put it back in, it would more likely come back out, so he put her to sleep.

It sounds like you caught your one early on which is good.

I think hair dryers have a hypnotising effect on chickens :lol: 

Grumpy! I kept her in the garage to reduce daylight, to discourage egg production and I think she's thoroughly bored. Rosie doesn't think there's anything wrong with her and if she had her way she'd be discharged from the crate and free ranging straight away. 

The prolapse looks fine. Going to clean and reapply the caneston after my children are in bed this evening so I'll be able to take a good look then.

Prolapses are best treated with Manuka Honey and be careful when you push the prolapse back in. To stop egg lying give wheat only as it has just 8% protein and not the 17% they need to lay eggs (show breeding tip). Make sure you add grit.

Short post as thunderstorms coming!!!

• Thanks 1

Are you sure that it is vent gleet? If she has a prolapse, then there will be a lot of discharge as her body is attempting to expel whatever is stuck in/hanging out of the vent. The giveaway is that vent gleet really stinks. You don't need anything other than washing her vent with neat ACV and syringing a bit in her oviduct.

9 hours ago, The Dogmother said:

Are you sure that it is vent gleet? If she has a prolapse, then there will be a lot of discharge as her body is attempting to expel whatever is stuck in/hanging out of the vent. The giveaway is that vent gleet really stinks. You don't need anything other than washing her vent with neat ACV and syringing a bit in her oviduct.

Oh yes, she was absolutely humming! The smell and state of her backend were absolutely text book. 

We gave her a soak in Epsom salts this evening and applied more cream. Manuka honey is insanely, prohibitively  expensive so that's not an option, unfortunately. Seems like I'm using ACV for everything else at the moment, so I might as well splash it on poor Rosie's vent too - I'll do that tomorrow, thank you.

We let Rosie out to stretch her legs and have a peck in the garden under supervision this evening. She went crazy and started to attack the flock. She launched herself at Tilda (cream Legbar) and drewblood on her comb. Connie (buff Orpington) came to Tilda's defence and saw Rosie off. I think Rosie must have had a lot of pent up energy and anger at being locked in all day. Going to have to watch her reintegration with the flock when she's better.

Update on Rosie: she's doing really well. Apart from one soft shelled egg the day after the incident, Rosie hasn't laid since, which is all for the best. She's settled back in with the flock, and apart from going into moult, she's looking great. I do wonder if she'll ever lay again or if that's her going into early retirement.