Belcherman

Eglu Cube: Teaching chickens to use nesting box

Our hens are growing up and in about a month we expect to be getting eggs. So far, we’ve kept the door between the sleeping area and the laying area closed so they wouldn’t get used to sleeping there. 

So what next? Do we open the door, fill the laying box with nesting material, add fake eggs and hope they figure it out? Also, do we leave the door to the laying box open all the time?

Right now, they’re not sleeping in the laying box because they don’t have access. If we open the door, will they start sleeping in there? How do we teach them that the laying area is where they should lay and only lay?

Thanks

You don’t need fake eggs, instinct will kick more often then not. You might get the odd egg in an odd place to start with, but they will figure it out on there own.

Some hens prefer a nest over a roost to sleep in. You could just close the divider at night to make sure they don’t sleep in the nesting box.

As Cat Tails says.  Forget the fake eggs, open the nesting box during the day.  I use aubiouse in the nesting box.  

Either close it up at night or put a flowerpot or ball in it to deter them from sleeping in it.  That is not always a problem.  My bantams sleep in perches in the run and only use the nesting box to lay.  Start now, or they might make their own arrangements I.e lay an egg in the most inaccessible part of the run! 

Edited by Patricia W