Janey4

Mistaken identity and bullying.....

Hi all.

My 3 girls have lived in apparent harmony since I got them almost a year ago and other than the odd peck from the Pekin (Binky) to the little Silkie (Chickaletta), which only really started happening the first time Binky went broody a month or so ago, they have been fine.

Today I spend the morning scrubbing their house, disinfecting it and their run and all their things and having a proper Spring clean. They are on the worming layers pellets this week too and I thought id give everyone a quick dust with DE as a precaution. The DE was an orange colour and turned my little white Silkie a kind of apricot colour, which made me laugh initially, but as soon as I put her down the other two hens started attacking her, in a way I've never seen before from either of them. They obviously thought she was a new hen and were really going for it. Has anyone ever heard of that happening before?! 

I separated Binky, who is very much the ring leader and put her in the run and then the other two were fine in the garden and I left them to it for a while. We have been out this afternoon and I didn't want to put them all back in the run together, so I put Binky in her broody cage in the run and then fastening the other two in the run. 

And now I don't really know what to do!

Shall I just shove them all in the house together tonight and cross my fingers, or perhaps leave Binky in the cage in the run over night? I have actually given Chickaletta a bit of a puff of talcum powder on her really orangey bits, in an attempt to dull them down a bit and to try to restore the peace...….

Any advice would be appreciated! 

Jane x

Hopefully the DE staining isn't permanent; I'd give her a bath and try to wash it out. Washing chickens a week before showing is standard practice. We've used tiny amounts of baby shampoo on ours before and then a gentle towel dabbing and a cool blow dry. Problem with separating them for very long, if out of sight, they will certainly attack her.

I've never heard of DE staining feathers and don't use it myself because of the Silica dust health risk being so high.

4 hours ago, Beantree said:

I've never heard of DE staining feathers and don't use it myself because of the Silica dust health risk being so high.

One of the reasons that folks are steering away from using it; you might like to speak to a chicken-savvy vet about using a (non-licensed) Ivermectin-based spot on preventative instead.

I've never heard of coloured Diatom either

I’ve just been to check the bottle and it’s Equinins Dy-Nomite and says on the back ‘100% modified DE’......won’t be using that again for sure! 

I left Binky in her broody cage till they others went to bed and then popped her in and shut the door. I loitered outside for quite a while checked on them a couple of times, but all was well. Let them out this morning and they seemed back to normal and Chickaletta is looking a bit more of a normal colour, especially after a dust bath this morning.

Theres definitely more bulling going on of late, which I’m keen to try and nip in the bud. They are all out happily free ranging at the min, but Chickaletta is keeping her distance from the other two, although that is the norm really. 

Is there anything I can do to try and restore the peace? 

Jane x

• Do they have enough space in their run?
  • Is there anything stressing them to cause this? New location, new feed, new birds.....
  • Have you given them all a thorough check for lice? Critters can make them irritable
  • Check their housing for red mites - being bitten at night makes them grumpy
  • Double up on food and water stations
  • Spray them all with a vinegar and water mix - it makes them all smell the same.

Thanks Dogmother.

Their run isn’t huge....it’s just over 3 x 1.7 mts but they are out quite a lot when myself or my husband are at home. 

Nothing has changed apart from the fact they are being wormed this week and they have a new Grub....I’ve put their old feeder back in too on your suggestion and another drinker. 

Ive checked them and their house for mites and both seem clear, but scrubbed and treated it this weekend.

Binky as become more dominant over th last couple of months, from when she went broody for the first time....I’m not sure if it’s just her change in attitude that’s causing the upset?

Ive been watching them like a hawk for these last few days and it looks like Chickaletta is pretty miserable with them in the run, not all of the time but some of it but fine when they are all out. I haven’t seen any real aggression from Binky aside from the odd peck, but Chickaletta keeps out of her way for the most part.

I don’t really know what’s else to do to perk Chickaletta up/stop Binks being a bully.....Chickaletta isn’t completely innocent mind, Ive seen her giving Feathers a couple of pecks over corn on the cob......

She’s got a couple of hiding spaces behind their house and dust bath that she seems to be using.

I’m a bit stuck with the size of run I’ve got as it’s a fixed, walk in one that just fits between the garage and the lawn, which is why I’m so keen on them being out as much as possible but there are times when they unfortunately have to stay confined. 

I just hate seeing her looking down, she’s such a friendly little chick, although having said that they have all been out this afternoon with no issues at all and I’ve spied them all snuggled up having a sunbathe together, so perhaps some sort of peace has been restored....fingers crossed!