Sharon76

Poorly chicken

2 weeks ago one of the pekins started falling over.  She would walk normally for a bit then topple over.  However, 24 hours later, she recovered.  She has been fine since, but started sleeping in the eglu by herself rather than on the high shelf with the rest.  She maybe couldnt fly up, but seemed otherwise fine. 

2 days ago she stopped going round the garden with the other 3 hens and just wandered around the run by herself.  She was still interested in corn though.  She seems to be sneezing now and looking sad, so have isolated her and, on the suggestion of the women in the feed shop are worming her and giving her mineral boost. 

Any other ideas please? 

IMG_20190622_133548.jpg

Sounds like she is rather weak and may not have been eating for a long time. You need to check her crop night and morning. It should be full at night and empty in the morning; if there is food left she may have a crop impaction in which case she won't be taking the wormer (Flubenvet), which is always a good start. Has she lost weight? Is she pooing?

The wobbling over thing sounds like it could’ve been a sign of one of the types of mareks. I didn’t want to say yesterday because there’s nothing you could’ve done anyway. One of my pekins died in what sounds like very similar circumstances. None of my others were affected or have been since. Sorry she’s gone.